iPad Mini Screen showing "beautiful colors"

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TheBrunoRocha, Jun 11, 2014.

1. TheBrunoRocha macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I'm sorry to request info here, since I'm not active as a member, but I'm having this issue with my Mini and I have no idea what's causing it and Apple simple resigned to solve my problem and want me to pay a fee to get a new one.

Well, it's quite simple. The screen simply, eventually, shows this:
    [​IMG]

They decided they wouldn't help because of this:
    [​IMG]
    Stating it voided my warranty.
    Ok, so I don't want to pay for a new Mini and I was about to buy an Air, but first I want to sell this one (or, if it's not possible, have it fixed and keep it).

So, I went searching and found out that there are a few people reporting the same problem at the apple forums but apple never answered.

I DO know how to disassemble and reassemble apple products but I just don't know WHAT to change.

This happens for no reason, eventually, and stays this way for a few hours, and then goes back to normal. Nothing seems to be triggering it, it simply happens and stop happening without warning.

If you guys think there's anything you can do to help, I'd really appreciate it.

I tried looking the first pages for something similar but didn't find it, so if there's another thread about this, I'm really sorry.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Where were you told they won't exchange that, at a Genius Bar? If so, call Apple Care. People sometimes have had better luck at getting exchanges by calling it in.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

4. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

It's been dropped. Of course Apple won't give you a free replacement.

5. TheBrunoRocha thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually called Apple Care, but to no avail, they said that they won't, indeed, replace my iPad.

@TWO2SEVEN how much do you intend to pay in it, as is?
    I'm from Brazil, but I'm traveling to Miami this August, we might try to have a deal...

other than that, any ideas what needs to be fixed?

6. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Whoa, I think that fall may have hurt the Mini in more ways than one.

Sorry OP, Apple definitely won't replace this. However if that nasty scratch wasn't there, they would have. This is considered a horrible screen defect and would have been taken back and replaced ASAP.

7. TheBrunoRocha thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, it was there, but the screen trouble happened later, months later...

so, you say that all I have to do is replace the screen? I mean, the LCD?
    It's really strange, I just used it right about now and it worked perfectly. As long as I don't keep turning the screen off and on, it will work as if nothing ever happened.

8. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Unless you're a professional with devices, inside and out, and don't mind voiding your warranty, with all means go head.

If not, just wait until November and buy the new model.

9. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Weird. I went to an Apple store the other day to see if they could fix my 3 year old Magic Mouse. They concluded that the issue couldn't be reproduced with their in store macs however they decided to replace it for free anyway and write a note down stating the issue for later.

Surprised they didn't do something similar.

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If you are confident enough to open it up you can check to make sure all of the connections are tight between the screen and the logic board. Otherwise, it looks like you may need to replace the LCD. It won't be that hard, but you will need to read a good walkthrough and take your time.

If possible, maybe try taking it to another Apple store before attempting to work on it yourself (which will void the warranty). You may get a more understanding/generous employee that will help you out.

11. TheBrunoRocha thread starter macrumors newbie

well, the warranty is already void according to the store and apple care in my country
    I will try to take it to another when I'm at USA then, before trying to repair it.
    I've repaired several iPhones already, I'm pretty confident... I guess... haha

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

http://www.ifixit.com is an excellent source for parts, tutorials and repair forums.

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

There walkthrus are great, but the same quality parts can be found cheaper.

14. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

On matters of repairs, in store always trumps phone support because the in store sees the device directly.

But frankly the staff at the store you went to first might be idiots. yes it has clearly been dropped but if that ding is it then it couldn't have been that far or hard. it might be the cause of the issue it might not. If there's no cracks on the glass of the screen I would have thought they would shrug it off. here in the US it often happens.

----------

good call.