iPad mini iPad Mini SIM for UK

Discussion in 'iPad' started by E3BK, Apr 30, 2013.

1. E3BK, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Hi all. So I'm heading to London in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had recommendations in which payg SIM I should get for my iPad Mini. I already have Orange for my AT&T iPhone 4S but wanted LTE service for my iPadM. (I guess I should ask if the Verizon iPadM can even get UK LTE? I know it's unlocked.)

Does Orange have good LTE/HSPA+ service or should I look into 3? I'm there for 10 days and will not likely bring my Air. We may also head to Edinburgh for a couple of days so something that works up there would be great as well.

Secondary question: the SIM i have w/ Orange is a few years old and I've kept it active and still works but I've not been to London for a while. Do I need to exchange the SIM to get HSPA+ on the 4S?

Thanks!!

2. Internaut macrumors 6502a

There's no way to get pre paid LTE service in the UK at the moment. Three probably have the best dial channel HSPA+ coverage (and that's fast if you're in coverage) and a range of prepaid options.

3. paulkerdot macrumors member

The Verizon ipad works on EE's 4g LTE network but not the AT&T version however as the previous reply said you cant get 4g LTE on pre pay. 30 day contracts are available but you need to pass a credit check and have a UK address. I doubt this would work for you. Again, the network 3 (www.three.co.uk) has really good 3g coverage with DC HSPA+ available in a lot of areas. London and Edinburgh will be well covered. "3" use 2100 Mhz so indoor coverage could be better but they give you a lot of data for little money. Ebay is a great place to buy pay go "3" sim cards.

4. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

I second going with Three Uk. Good coverage and 3G speeds.

5. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

6. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

I received my 3 UK sim today! But it seems you can't activate it from the US. Boo. For reference, I did activate my Orange SIM online and it worked the minute I landed. I was hoping to do the same w/ the 3 SIM but it seems that's not possible according to this.

Unless, perhaps, I'm missing something. Entirely possible. lol.

7. maxsquared macrumors regular

I've never ever needed to activate a 3 sim, and I use 3 for my iPhone and iPad...

8. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Same here i just put it in and turn mobile data on.

Connects to the internet no log in, no password, no registration, no nothing!

9. E3BK, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

3 said that the SIM I have is for iPhones, not iPads and that I would need to purchase a new one. I guess I was sent the wrong kind of SIM.

Also, we've decided to take a little tour to the Highlands/Isle of Skye as well and 3 service doesn't look great. Recs on which provider works best up there? I assume all will have pretty good coverage in London/Edinburgh.

10. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

3 Works fine in Edinburgh, for Skye and the Highlands you may need one of these :)

11. jamjoy macrumors newbie

yeah,Connects to the internet no log in, no password, no registration, no nothing! thanks [​IMG]

12. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

LOL. A+ answer...though I'd prefer to find a blue box.

13. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

IIRC there is one in Edinburgh, at the entrance to Princes street gardens just after you cross over Waverly bridge.

14. MLAM macrumors regular

Which 3 sim did you guys order for your iPads?