iPad mini iPad mini, sim from ip5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Deasnutz, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

Can I pop my iPhone 5 sim into a iPad mini retina and use data? Anyone doing this?

I have ATT unlimited data plan, and it would more convenient to surf on a mini instead of my iPhone when I'm at work.

Thanks, sorry if it is a redundant thread.

2. AQ1225 macrumors newbie

From what I have read on other threads, AT&T has a way to figure out that the SIM is being used on an iPad and not an iPhone; they will probably give you a courtesy warning before they take some drastic steps.

I am in the same boat as you, unlimited grandfathered AT&T data plan but would much rather use it on the rMini; hopefully iOS7 jailbreak comes out soon and tethering is workable again

3. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I know you're using AT&T, but I do this all the time with my Verizon 5s and retina mini. I haven't had an issues with Verizon and on more than one occasion used several GBs steaming movies on LTE while I was traveling.

4. jimi78 macrumors regular

jimi78

not sure if that is the solution. i was using Tetherme from Cydia for almost a month (16gbs used) and I got an email from ATT "informing" me of the Share data plans that allow Hotspots. I had until the end of the month to stop using this function or they would automatically change it for me.

They also knew when the Hotspot feature was turned on, but NOT connected to a device. IDK how, but it knew and sent me a text msg to update my plan if i wanted to keep using the feature.

There needs to be a tweak that changes APN settings for ipad and maybe mask IMEI so that ATT thinks the iphone is using the SIm and not the iPad