IPad mini spec speculation thread.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gladoscc, Oct 12, 2012.

1. gladoscc macrumors 6502

Post your predictions.

A5-512mb ram
    768p display
    8 hrs battery life
    No 3G, no 4g
    Front facing camera only
    $299

2. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

If that's the iPad Mini (and I know a lot of people think it is) I speculate a ho-hum response at best (journalists, however will rip Apple a new one) - you can get better specs in other products for a lot cheaper.

Now, if you add in some other value, something really interesting (e.g. higher res display, cellular connectivity, plus something other and something else!) it might just capture some attention and earn something more than ridicule.

I'm hoping for big things, and I'm willing to pay the price. Can't wait to see!

3. Stetrain, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

32nm A5 with 512mb RAM, same as iPod touch and latest revision of iPad 2.

1024x768 display.

16GB and 32GB options.

"Facetime" front camera (VGA quality) and "HD Video" rear camera (720p).

Available in at least White/Silver and Black/Slate. Maybe more colors to match the new iPod touch lineup.

16GB WiFi for $299. 16GB WiFi + LTE for $429.

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

A5
    512MB RAM
    FaceTime HD camera
    16GB and 32GB
    No cellular data

5. TJ5921 macrumors regular

A5X
    5 MP iSight Camera
    Facetime VGA Camera
    Retina Display (2048 by 1536)
    16 and 32 gb

WiFi only - 16gb $299
    32gb $399

WiFi & LTE - 16gb $429
    32gb $529

6. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

If it doesn't have Retina it will disappoint. So I think you are spot on.

7. GubbyMan macrumors 6502

GubbyMan

I don't see the problem with having a screen resolution that is different from the original iPads. Old apps can be remade to that resolution, and new apps will adapt to it. 2048x1536 is too much for a 7.85 screen and 1024x768 is not enough to be called a Retina display.

My bet is:
    Retina Display: 1440x1920 (305.73ppi at 7.85")
    8-hour battery
    A5 (32nm) 512MB RAM
    VGA front and 720p back cameras
    16GB 32GB 64GB
    WiFi+3G (+GPS) model (no 4G)

Prices:
    16GB Wifi $249
    32GB Wifi $349
    64GB Wifi $449
    16GB 3G $349
    32GB 3G $449
    64GB 3G $549

8. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I think the battery will be the same as the normal ipad since the screen is smaller.

9. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

I will wait for the tear-downs, if it doesn't have 1 GB of ram I won't be buying it. Once bitten twice shy with my original iPad.

10. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

ipad 1 had 256 mb and ipad 2 had 512 mb and double the ram made a HUGE difference.

11. Canaan macrumors member

Anyone remember that patent Apple got for the hybrid E-ink/LCD display? I think that may be what they would shoot for with an iPad mini. If something like that were implemented it would make for an incredible media consumption device that combines the easy reading e-ink offers with and LCD for when you're doing everything else. If this isn't going to occur however, I just fail to see the appeal of a device like this unless it doesn't skimp on the screen and internals too much. If Apple wants some of the 7-inch market they will have to at least match for the most part other devices or innovate in some way. (Not to say they wouldn't sell something slightly inferior in large quantities if they did put out such a product, it would just be disappointing and lazy in my opinion)

12. 1080p, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  13. eric89074 macrumors member

You're crazy if you expect a ho-hum response from a $299.00 iPad Mini. Apple will sell every one they can make for months at that price. I'm sure tech "journalists" will crap all over it but most people won't give a **** and will buy it. The majority of people don't want a tablet. They want an iPad.

14. OafTobark, Oct 13, 2012

OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

iPad mini - available in black/slate & white/silver

A5X - 512mb RAM
    7.85" Retina Display w/ 2048 x 1536 @ 326ppi & IPS technology
    Facetime HD Camera
    5mp iSight Camera & 720p Video Capture
    8hr Battery Life
    Lightning connector
    Wi-Fi ONLY (802.11a/b/g/n)
    Anodized 6000 series Aluminum Casing

Shipping Oct. 26th
    8GB - $249
    16GB - $299
    32GB - $349

------------------------------------------------------

Now here's my reasoning. Apple MUST distinguish the 'mini' apart from the current 'new iPad'. The question is how are they going to be able to do so, without taking a step backwards towards earlier Generations of iPad. Now, put your iPod mini era caps on. Cause Apple will do the same thing.

Expect a current A5X processor built in, but with only 512mb RAM. This is required for Retina Display. I don't see Apple NOT going with Retina as it is pretty much their display 'standard' now-a-days and are currently pushing all non-retina devices to this standard. 512mb of RAM will have to do as Apple will be marketing and pushing this toward the light/average consumer, along with children and the Education side of things. Housewives and Children do not need 1GB of RAM to run memory hogging apps such as Photoshop Express, iMovie, and top tier editing apps.

Retina or Non-Retina. I'd have to say Retina. If there was one spec I was not 100% sure of, I would say this one. Like I said above, I don't see Apple NOT going with Retina as it is pretty much their display 'standard' now-a-days. And to highlight this, they are pushing all non-retina devices to this standard. Retina is huge, and makes a product have that 'wow' factor. I hope and pray they include it, as it would really come up short if they did not. Now, to look at it from the other side, remember again the target audience. Do they really need a retina display? Can Apple get away with 1024x768? People say that the exclusion of Retina display will keep the cost down. But I believe a different exclusion will allow this, read on!

Expect a HD FaceTime camera as it is almost a necessity for FaceTiming, as with the VGA camera you could hardly tell what or who you were talking to. FaceTime will be included as it is a neat feature for tablets and I do not see Apple withholding it. Also, 30fps seems feasible.

A 5mp iSight camera seems like a perfect fit, I don't see Apple downgrading picture quality, even though it is on a 'mini' type product. But I wouldn't be surprised if Apple snuck 720p HD Video Capture past us. I personally do not see the need to pack it with full blown HD recording. Again, the light consumer and children are the targeted market here.

I see 8 hours of battery life being plausible. You give and take here. Remember, the battery size itself will be slightly smaller due to the smaller design of the product itself, but will make up with the inclusion of the Lightning connector. Also, with the lack of LTE/3G Cellular connectivity and a slightly smaller Retina Display, I see this battery performing just fine.

Here's the shocker: Wi-Fi models only. In order to keep cost down and to be able to distinguish the 'mini' product from it's older, bigger parent, I see Apple leaving out LTE/3G Connectivity. Remember the targeted audience here. The iPad mini will perform just fine indoors, as that is where it will be meant to be used. This is where Apple will be able to hit that low price tag they are shooting for.

Expect capacities to be moderate. I see an entry level 8GB version coming in under the coveted <$200 price tag. This will be just fine for young children and the education side of things. I see Apple providing two other capacities, 16GB and 32GB for the light consumer. With each increase in capacity, I hope to see a price increase of $50 per jump.

Time will tell.

15. WLS, Oct 13, 2012

WLS macrumors 65816

That sounds spot on. The only wild cards are:
    The case: is it black aluminum or some kind of special carbon fiber hybrid that Apple has developed and patened.
    The screen - will it be IGZO or that hybrid eink and lcd mentioned or incell technology or something else? No way it will be retina at the cost niche they have to shoot for. The rumors that ebooks will be the theme at the event implies that the mini will be offered as the e-Book reading answer and should be tailored towards that function. That will make it more than just a small iPad or large Touch

16. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I agree with all of this except the storage. I really don't see Apple releasing an 8GB iPad Mini.

17. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

A5x chip
    1gb of ram
    Retina display (but with lower pixel density than iPad 3 retina)
    16GB or 32GB models only
    two color options black/slate and white/silver

249$ for 16GB
    349$ for 32GB

18. sineplex macrumors 6502

exactly. another thing to look at is that they killed off 16GB in the new ipod touch.
    to quote Amazon's Jeff Bezos - Kindle Fire HD will start at 16 GB, 8GB 'dead on arrival,' -

This should tell you a lot.

19. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I expect an announcement about a revamped iTunes and iBooks and a refreshed iPad (3rd Gen) and then a lot of "what about the mini?" crying on the forums that night.

It's vapor until something is officially announced.

20. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

We'll see, but I think you ignore the response from Amazon and Google and B&N, who all have superior specs on their 7" vs. some of the rumours suggesting the iPad Mini is a shrunken iPad 2. Imagine they all lower their price, so Apple is now inferior in specs and double the price (or triple) - think it's going to sell so many still? Do you really think people are that blind? Jeez, I hope they aren't, it kills my faith in people to imagine them so stupid. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, but I love Apple because it builds superior products, and this particular iPad Mini rumour will leave me hugely disappointed, and I'll just look elsewhere for what I want, and feel serious concern for those that find paying more money for less a good thing.

21. gladoscc thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple will NOT PUT A5X

A5X is not faster.
    A5X is more energy sucking.
    A5X consumes more memory bandwidth.

The only good thing A5X is for is driving the retina display. That's all.

22. eric89074 macrumors member

The majority of people buying a tablet don't care how much ram and what kind of processor it is running. They want to know it will run the apps they want and run them well. Apple has never been about competing with specs; they provide the best user experience with the hardware they use.

23. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I don't see Apple ever selling an iPad mini for $199 as they simply won't make any money on it. What's the point of selling millions of them if they don't profit? They don't make money on music and apps, so they have to make money on hardware. Ironically I think it is the appeal of the Apple ecosystem and App store that allows them to charge a premium on the hardware...

And why is the iPad mini supposed to appeal only to children, light users, schools and people who can't afford a 'full-size' iPad? There are plenty of people out there who simply want a smaller iPad at any price point, as long as it is full-featured.

So, count me amongst those who don't believe Apple will engage in a race to the bottom with Amazon, B&N etc.
    Retina 16GB $349 - $399
    Add $100 for 32GB
    Add $129 for LTE
    A6, 1GB RAM, front HD camera, rear 5MP camera

24. M87 macrumors 65816

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't have:
    5-megapixel rear camera
    At least 720p display

I also have a hunch they're going to distinguish this new device from the iPad more significantly than we're anticipating somehow.

25. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

A5 32nm w/ 512MB LPDDR2 RAM, 1024x768 IPS in-cell touch display, 16GB storage, decent front facing / rear facing camera, etc., for $249 which is the same price as the Nexus 7 16GB. Though $299 wouldn't surprise me.