iPad mini iPad Mini Touch ID

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cclloyd, Sep 28, 2013.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

If the next mini were to have Touch ID, where would it store the info, if it's currently presumed that the iPhone 5S stores the data on the SRAM in the A7. Since the iPad mini would probably have the A6, where would it put it, unless they make a custom A6 chip with SRAM.

2. Blackened macrumors regular

3. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

if the iPad mini gets retina it may need the A7X

5. VanillaCracker macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

Pretty sure TouchID only works with the A7 chip soooooo yeah. I don't see how it could have an A6X. Everyone keeps saying it won't get an A7 but I think that's just because they want to feel like their future iPad 5 is superior

6. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

And that's the issue I see with how people see the mini. It shouldn't be viewed as a cheap option for iPad. Tim said that's not what he wants. I would love if they could pack as much high technology from the actual iPad into the mini even if it costs a bit more. The size should be all that's different.

7. VanillaCracker macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

I agree. And not only "tim cook's" words, but also their whole advertising for it states that. Either way, their advertising meant nothing in that case because it came with a non-retina screen and a rather pathetic A5 chip. Granted the battery life was fantastic, but maybe that is something they wanted. It will be interesting to see how they make it happen. My best guess is it's 70% likely for an A7/A7x and 30% likely for an A6x. I just have a feeling they want to unify the line, add TouchID to both iPads, and also have a 64-bit line-up. Plus the A6x would kill battery life in comparison to an A7 (not sure about A7x - probably about equal)

8. chrisaster macrumors regular

That's a good question.

I'm starting to think there might be two ipad minis (we'll see if with the rumors this week) one which will be the cheaper version and a more expensive one.

I don't see them selling a cheap mini with retina, a7x and touch ID. Obviously the non cheaper one won't need a7 as it won't have touch id.

9. VanillaCracker macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

I've been thinking this for a while as well. It's certainty unknown, but it wouldn't be unlike them, as they sell the iPad 4 (retina) and kept the iPad 2 around also after that. That was a huge change in strategy from everything I've witnessed (maybe tim cook's idea) and it would certainty explain all the rumors we've heard.

It would mean the non-retina refresh would get the A6x while the new Space grey/maybe gold iPad mini would have retina, touch id (maybe) and an A7/A7x chip. My guess would be $330 for non-retina (same price) and $399 for retina/A7 mini.

If you believe that the only other question would be if both are being updated at the same time. Because Kuo thinks they're going to refresh the non-retina in a couple weeks and then release an iPad mini retina in February or so.

10. chrisaster macrumors regular

Maybe but they usually have new items in time for Christmas as they can become popular gifts...

I would hate it if the cheaper ipad mini is non retina! Would prefer if they made a C version no touch id just retina and processor to back it.

Only other reason I can't see them keeping the a6 would be its not 64bit and would be redundant in future ios updates as it looks like they will need the 64bit as they further integrate with osx.... But then again Apple could do that.

11. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

The iPhone 5c is not 64 bit, so I don't think this is the "year of 64-bit integration." Ditto Touch ID. Maybe next year.

The big unanswered strategic question is whether the mini really is just a smaller iPad, with no other differences. If the answer is "yes, and right now" then either the mini has to make huge technical leaps, or the iPad 5 gets held back to let the mini catch up. If the answer is "never" then the mini stays a generation or two behind. I think the strategic answer is "not yet" meaning that the two mini and 5 are not technologically similar, but some gaps will be closed, probably in order by retina, 64-bit, then TouchID. I just can't see the mini absorbing all those changes at once.

Another unanswered question is whether the M7 chip goes to iPads. This would not be about workout apps, but rather an extension to location tracking indoors where GPS is less reliable, and precise location matters a lot. This could make iPads of any size much more interesting in retail or warehouse applications. I assume that the M7 requires the A7, but would not require retina.

Magic Eight-ball says "answer unclear, try again later.'