All iPads iPad Mini vs. iPad 2 for note taking?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Adam1, Aug 23, 2013.

?

Keyboard necessary for note taking in school?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Adam1 macrumors newbie

Which is better I currently have an iPad 2 for school but am looking to upgrade. Which form factor is better for school/note taking 'mini' or 'large'? I might wait for the refresh but regardless of that which form is better?

2. Adam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. esskay macrumors 6502

Are you talking about using a stylus to take notes by hand or for typing? Might help to clarify that.

Personally, the mini screen is too small in general for me... don't have young eyes anymore...

4. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

THe mini is the best for note taking. its compact yet you can type on it with two hands (or thumbs) in both screen orientations

5. sim0n macrumors member

Go to an apple store and decide for yourself, the mini might be easier to type on for some people because you can type with 2 thumbs but the bigger ipad may be easier as it is bigger, go and try them out for yourself:)

6. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

honestly dude,
    I went through this obsessive search for the best electronic note taking process.
    and the ipad does not beat pen and paper when it comes to taking notes at school.
    it just doesnt. This is because inherently, the iPad when used as a handwriting notetaker, is an imitation. It's an imitation of pen and paper.
    When used with a keyboard, its an imitation of a laptop with microsoft word and even then, it's not better than simply getting a notepad (or printing out the power point slides for lectures) and jotting down notes, arrows to ideas, diagrams...
    It is much much more efficient to do that manually still.
    If you want paperless, scan it/take a picture using your iphone and send to evernote.
    Now relating this to me, I am now studying post graduate by correspondence. All materials are sent via PDFs - barely any lectures. In this situation, the iPad beats paper hands down - no need to print 50 page PDFs again and everything is synced through dropbox (including minor pdf annotations and highlights). But during the few days a module that I do have to go to a lecture, paper still beats iPad.

7. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Mini FTW!

I found the mini much easier to type on.

8. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

Probably iPad 2 due to bigger screen well for me at least

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This….MBA is great and can do anything iPad can't do. :apple:

11. esskay macrumors 6502

Btw for note taking using typing, actual keyboard is a must for me. I am a very fast typist, but I can't keep up for note taking using the virtual keyboard. Can get the general gist of things but if I'm trying to capture a lot of detail I need a real keyboard (a keyboard case works fine).