iPad mini iPad Mini vs iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WillFisher, Dec 2, 2012.

1. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

I know there are a million of these, but I have one question.
    I currently have an iPad 3, but even before the mini I thought it was too large and bulky, and recently have been looking into a mini, but the thing that scares me is the processor.
    Not saying its slow by any means, but for future iOS builds, 7 and maybe 8, do you think the A5 will be supported? I assume it will, but I had an iPhone 3G which went onto iOS 4, and that was awful, I just wouldn't want that happening.
    The retina would be a big thing to wait for yes, but I don't want to keep waiting for the next thing.

In short, how long do you think will the A5 be "supported" for?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times!

2. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, graphically, the iPad mini is more powerful than an iPad 3 (the iPad 3 must push four times as many pixels, but is only twice as powerful).

The CPU is just as powerful. I expect an upgrade to iOS 7, but after that... who knows?

3. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

That's EXACTLY why I sold my iPad3. However I really liked the Retina screen so I'm waiting until the next version before I get the mini (hopefully around March). BTW, the next version of the mini will most likely also have the A6, which brings us to your next question...

My guess is that iOS 8 will not be supported. The A6 however will most likely be supported in iOS8.

You kind of answered your own question when you said you didn't want to wait. If that's the case then you only have one option, to get the original mini, but just know that it will probably be replaced in a couple of months down the road :apple:

4. WillFisher thread starter macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Yeah the main thing was being supported. I just remember using my iPhone 3G on iOS 4 thinking, God this is awful. I wouldn't want a however old device to only receive one iOS update you know?
    Yeah I thought the next mini might have the A6, but obviously now that devices have Dual Core vs iPad 1st gen Single Core, my girlfriend has one and it seems a little sluggish on iOS 5.1.1 but hey ho.
    I just read that back and it makes no sense. Basically, I don't want my resale to go down lower than a 32GB mini, at this moment in time I think I could almost swap devices, but later down the line, who knows!

5. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

Developers are still making games that support the 3GS and the iPad 2, don't worry that much. Tomorrow brings its own worries, focus on what you are blessed with today :)

6. WillFisher thread starter macrumors 6502

WillFisher

I think thats just sold it. Thank you very much.