iPad iPad mini vs ipad air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Z8beema, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I understand the intrigue behind the iPad mini but at this point why would anyone not spend the extra 100 for a bigger screen. If it's because of portability, the iPad air IMO is now just as portable as the mini. I know this is just my preference of iPad air over ipad mini but I just can't wrap my head around not getting the extra screen space

2. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

There are several threads on this already

3. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

Because some people just have their own preferences. I bought mine originally because it was cheaper, small enough to fit in a small purse for school. (I hate carrying a purse as it is so the smaller the better for me). I'm selling it though. For what it's worth, I don't understand complaints about the weight differences. I don't think the iPad 4 is heavy at all and I screwed up both hands/wrists with stainless steel crafting. I feel like the Air is going to fly out of my hands, soar through a window and hit a bird or something.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Really? Have you handled them side by side? That's like saying a Macbook Pro 17" is just as portable as a MacBook Air. Sure, they both fit in my briefcase, but geez. The difference in portability is OBVIOUS.

5. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I believe the mini retina uses the same casing as the original mini so, essentially. yes I have compared them side by side

----------

Thanks for the input. Point me in the right direction with a link and ill head there

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

If the iPad Air was $399 and the iPad Mini was $499 I would still probably opt for the mini. I have been using a Nexus 7 for a while and love the form factor / size and that it fits in my purse. The Mini while bigger than the Nexus will still fit in my purse which is what I am looking for.

7. Aetherhole macrumors member

Difference in portability is obvious, but the difference portability due to weight is less-so. 1lb (1.05lbs for LTE) of the iPad Air versus 0.75lbs of the iPad Mini with retina is not HUGE. .25 - .30 lbs difference is noticeable, definitely, but it's not just because of the weight that makes the mini more portable.

Trying to comparing a MBP to a MB Air is pretty extreme, though... 13" MB Air is 2.96lbs compared to the 15" MBP is 4.46lbs. That's not even comparing a 17" MBP, which isn't even listed on Apple's comparison chart. Still, that's a 1.5lb difference. That's a whole 3rd and 4th gen iPad in weight right there.

8. Macmaniman¡ macrumors newbie

My main thing is. It fits in one hand, and more importantly it fits in your pocket!

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

True, but I think willingness to carry with you is more important. Not everyone puts large gadgets in their pockets. :p

The phone is the ultimate portable device, since it's always with you in your pocket or waist or somewhere. But the screen is tiny. So going up from there is a compromise. How much bigger are you willing to go and still carry it? If your measure is pocketability, then you have a max size you are willing to go depending on your pocket size.

Me, I carry in a sleeve. I'm more likely to walk out the door with my mini more so than my Air. But that's me any my tolerance for carrying stuff. I want the largest screen I can carry though, so that's a factor.

10. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

How large are your pockets?! haha

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Purse is an important word here. The mini IS more portable should one be using or regularly use a purse or briefcase for that matter. But, it will NOT fit into any standard pants/jeans pockets or jacket pockets so its not more portable in that regard.

This is why I dont get why the mini is suposedly WAY more portable than the Air. The Mini is slightly more portable but still wont fit in most places the Air wont fit. Thats where the phones or iPod Touch win out.

The larger iPad Air screen trumps anything the mini has over it portability wise, IMO.

12. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

According to iFixIt, the mini has the A7 chip from the 5s where the Air has a "souped up" version.

This might be a notable difference (besides size).

13. Macalway macrumors 68000

The Air is very portable

The Mini is more portable than the Air

Am I missing something? :D

14. JGWolven macrumors regular

We've gotten so lazy that the idea of carrying around an iPad the size of a notebook seems like a burden. :x

15. cababah macrumors 68000

Yup. The Air uses a tomato bisque variant of the iPhone 5S A7 chip ;)

16. matneh macrumors regular

Got both, and I'm starting to really warm up to the Air more than the mini. Maybe my eyes are getting old, but I much more enjoy the experience of larger text and buttons. Was really not expecting that! Undocked and split keyboard is really an amazing thing!

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, this is something you can only experience using both of them for more than 15 minutes at the store. I am planning on keeping both, but may end up returning one. It depends which one grows on me the most....

18. CanonX macrumors newbie

I salute you sir, best comment I've seen amongst all the iPad Air/Mini moaning :D

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

What is the standard pocket size?

20. Sockin macrumors newbie

I had the Air, returned it after a day, it was just too big IMO. Being able to comfortably type with your thumbs in landscape mode is huge for me. Game playing is way more comfortable with the Mini for me as well.

21. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I own two jackets. I don't believe the pockets are unusually big, nor did I buy the jackets with them in mind, yet the mini slips into them comfortably. It goes with me everywhere. In addition, it's small enough I can hold it effortlessly in one hand while using the other to copy down problems from it on the blackboard for the classes I teach.

Obviously, the larger screen of the Air is nice, and for some people that's going to be more important than the convenience of the smaller size. Different people will use the devices in different ways and have different priorities, and therefore different trade-offs will be appropriate for different people. Given the way I use it and the priorities I have, the Ipad mini is the perfect size: any smaller and it would no longer be comfortable for reading, while any bigger and it would no longer be so extraordinarily portable. But I would never say it was somehow objectively best for everybody, that would be silly.

22. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Didn't you read what he said... it will NOT fit! You're jacket is wrong! :D

23. iCarabma macrumors 6502

Laugh this off if you must, but a war is coming.

Sure, you could say that different people have different needs and tastes, but we all know that is a bowl of hot malarkey.

Pick a side, Team Mini or Team Air, and get ready to fight for what you believe in!!!

To the death!

Attica! Freedom! Donna Martin Graduates!!

24. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

We have both in our house, what do I do?! :eek: :)

25. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

5 years ago I carried a laptop every where I went so when the first iPad came out I was in heaven. Having the air now to me is so portable it's ridiculous.