iPad mini iPad Mini vs iPad Mini Retina

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kidwithdimples, Nov 2, 2013.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I know both of these devices are pretty much alike in their specifications, except Retina has new processor, display and weighs a little more.

I just sold my iPad 2 3rd Gen 16GB Retina display. I just don't know which ipad mini to buy? Is it even worth spending more money on the retina? I don't see anything wrong with the original mini. It's not slow or anything.

Can't make up my mind, ugh.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Retina makes things more crisp and text easier to read. As far as speed I have noticed my Mini to lag or stutter when performing certain tasks but if yours is working pretty well for what you use it for then there is no real reason to upgrade.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

Specs are different. Info available at apple.com.

4. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

How does having a new processor and display make these devices "pretty much alike"?

5. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

They're pretty much identical in specs. Nothing too big of a change other than the processor/display.

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

Oh, OK. I thought there was a difference between the A5 and A7 as well as 32 bit and 64 bit.

Thanks for the info.

7. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

What do you want to do with it? My biggest beef with the mini wasn't that the display want "retina", but that the quality just wasn't as good. Colour gamut, contrast, etc. Nothing to do with the actual resolution.

Personally, I imagine I'd shell out the extra $100 pretty quickly for the Mini retina. Faster, more ram, better display, faster WiFi (I believe)... Only drawback is the money and a little pudgy.

Clint

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

There I fixed it for you. A5 vs A7 and 1024x768 vs Retina is nowhere near "pretty much identical".

9. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I would definitely choose the Retina option. I currently have a Mini and my pickup yesterday of the Air is my first Retina iPad. I am already contemplating selling my current Mini to get the new one.

For the difference in price, it is really a nice upgrade.

10. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

As a mini 1 owner for a solid year, the only reason to not get the retina if you can afford it, is if it won't be used much. If you'll be on it every day, pay the extra 100.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

So you'd want to have sold your iPad... to buy a smaller iPad 2? :confused:

Comparing the iPad mini and the mini w/ retina is like comparing the iPad 2 with the iPad Air (three generations difference). There is no contest.

The A7 is leaps and bounds ahead of the A5. I'm not sure what else you'd want to be upgraded, sure the camera stayed the same but then again who actually uses the camera on an iPad?

12. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone.

I will wait for the mini retina :rolleyes:

13. scupking macrumors 6502a

Mini r is much faster. I have the air and first mini. Been comparing them. Night and day difference. Wifi strength is also much better. Screen will look fantastic on the mini R.