iPad mini iPad Mini vs Nexus 7 (2013) - Honest Comparison

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Doth, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Doth, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Doth macrumors member

Doth

I have had several iPads and every model of the iPhone. Will be upgrading to the iPhones 5s when it comes out.

My current iPad is the 64gig Mini LTE. It is perfect for me. The size is great, the screen resolution isn't something that bothers me.

When the new Generation of the Nexus 7 came out, I thought I would pick it up for the house to see what the story is with Android.. This is supposed to be their current flagship device and the 32 gig model is only $270.

So I have lived with the Nexus 7 for about 2 weeks and here are my thoughts.

Pros of Nexus 7 and Android:
    Multi-User Support --- This is an awesome feature. Two people can have totally different experiences and are kept separate.
    Widgets - Super cool to have these and have them update without even opening the app
    Great Screen - Best resolution at this size tablet
    Price

Pros of iPad Mini:
    Stability of OS - Android is just not as stable and gets slower with time and apps
    Available Apps - Far better selection
    Better Gmail App - Seriously, I don't understand this one. An email invite in Gmail on iOS includes the option of accepting, declining or tentative. This is not possible on the Android. In fact, almost all of the Google Apps are better on iOS. Probably the biggest surprise to me.
    Better integration into the Apple Ecosystem - Only important if you are already in the Apple Ecosystem
    Better Battery Life
    More available accessories

In the end, the two features that I really wish Apple would adopt are Multi-User Support and Widgets. I can see why Apple prefers that we all have our own individual devices, but this one feature is worth the price of admission to me. Widgets would also be great.

Don

2. hbksabhi macrumors regular

3. cirus macrumors 6502a

The ipad mini gets eaten for breakfast by the N7 2013.

[​IMG]
    (note under video playback the mini does better comparatively but still loses).

N7 is in a completely different category performance wise. GPU is twice as fast (at least), CPU is more than 3x as fast. User experience is going to be better on the N7.

Disclaimer: I own neither device (ipad 4) so I don't have any first hand experience.

4. Doth thread starter macrumors member

Doth

The screen resolution is different, but doesn't bother me.

That very pretty chart on battery life isn't representative of my experience at all. The N7 doesn't last nearly as long as the Mini.

5. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

The QUAD CORE snapdragon processor really does the nexus 7.2 model well in terms of being fluid and i witnessed barely any lag in UI navigation.

The biggest fault is the 7" 16:10 aspect ratio because it is just too narrow for web browsing which I purchased the device for. It's superb resolution and aspect ratio is fantastic for youtube and movies.

But even if you were to accept the aspect ration, the web browsing experience is much slower than even an iPad 3. In iOS 7 GM, on an iphone 5 in safari, you get nearly 718ms in sunspider 1.0.1 and aside from just the benchmark results, browsing on an iPhone 5 is superior in terms of speed to the nexus 7.2.

Apple is king when it comes to optimizations and with iOS 7, the gap in browser speed is just that much greater. The nexus 7.2 clocks in at around 1100ms or so. You can clearly feel it's that much slower and that was one of my major bummers about the nexus 7.2 even the quad core cannot outperform an A6 dual core processor. Apple is just that much better with hardware/software.

Everything else about the tablet is great - you have the flexibility of Android 4.3 but I do miss photostreams (especially in iOS 7 which allows hd videos to be uploaded! and also iMessaging which also allows FULL HD videos now).

But everything in Android 4.3 is just much more flexible than iOS and if you want a computing platform, android 4.3 is it!

6. dsr2 macrumors regular

dsr2

I also have both the ipad mini and the nexus 7. While the nexus 7 has a beautiful screen and widgets, I still default back to my ipad mini and my other ios devices.

After some use, the Nexus 7 would freeze or randomly reboot (apparently a known problem) and was, at times, sill laggy. Additionally, scrolling is not as smooth on the 7 as it is on the iPads.

Simply stated, for straight web surfing, I find Apple products superior.

7. Serban Suspended

still to be fair: we compare ipad mini with the brand new nexus 7
    1 month more and we can compare the both 2013 models

8. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah basically from what I've read. Next month, when the iPad Mini gets Retina and a faster cpu/gpu bump, it'll be better than the Nexus in almost every way. Not really "sacrificing" anything, by buying it over a nexus anymore.

9. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

There. I fixed it for you.

Of course the 11 month old device gets beaten by the 6 week old device. What do you expect?

Of course, Apple could have made the mini a bit more competitive by putting a 2012 A6 CPU in it instead of the 2011 A5 CPU...

Note that the last years Ipad 4 A6X core outperforms this years Nexus 7... so if the Ipad mini arrives next month with the 2012 A6 or A6X, it will "eat the nexus 7 for breakfast".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7231/the-nexus-7-2013-review/3

10. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Sounds like you and I are in the exact same raft! I've got the same mini as you and just bought the new N7.2 (also owned the original Nex7 and got rid of it a month and a half after purchase). I agree with most of your assertions, except widgets. Maybe it's because I've owned the original galaxy note since release....but they're a battery drain and get boring pretty quick. Especially with iOS notifications now available I don't feel the lack of widgets to be a detriment in iOS

Multiple users functionality would be welcome. And it seems Apple feels the same. Just as they do in OSx and with multiple finger prints being accepted in the new Iphone....I think we can expect this in future iPad versions. Maybe even this next one (as they're also competing with Surface---it does make sense)

You're picking a specific benchmark, browsing on wifi from anandtech that isn't what I'm seeing at all on my mini. We easily get 10 hours+ browsing on wifi and if I'm not mistaken, the field is leveled significantly browsing on LTE. As well, the N7's browsing speed is exceptionally slow! I don't know why...stock browser, chrome, dolphin...it doesn't matter which, the older mini is much quicker populating web pages.
    Yes it's processor is faster....but as time has shown again and again...Android and its layer of java frosting NEEDS faster speed to get closer to iOS'es fluidity. Not to blame java solely for the lag but for some silly reason, Android is just not as 'quick' and 'fluid' as iOS'es UI. Nor is there a decent selection of tablet optimized apps, and reading in portrait is an exercise in futility on the N7.
    The N7's resolution is phenomenal. I'm looking forward to a retina-ized iPad mini.

I'm with you. I also have the iPad 4. And you and I are both aware of its speed. Imagine that power (and resolution) in a new mini.

While I have the utmost respect for Anand and his crew, benchmarks are benchmarks. They don't tell the whole story. User ability, fluidity, battery life, available apps and software and the ability to use the device in either orientation are classic symptoms Android/Nexus MUST deal with. I'm a fan an owner of both. I'm rooting for both. As well...I'm rooting for Windows. Competition is good for ALL of us. I'm not so sure the high resolution release of the N7 won't be a primary driver for Apple to release a high Rez mini.

J

11. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Having the ipad 3 and nexus 7 (2012); I use the nexus more and for one simple reason, I can customize the keyboard... you still cant go beyond the large or split on the ipad, its ridiculous.

12. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

You must be easy to please if nothing else bothers you besides the keyboard

13. Doth thread starter macrumors member

Doth

So I fully charged both and headed off to the mall with the wife for some shopping. Used both about equally, using the mall's wifi (the N7 isn't LTE). They were both left on with a smart cover.

I just checked the batteries right now:
    iPad Mini 97%
    Nexus 7 83%

I love when people that have no practical experience with a device quote stats and benchmarks to prove a point. It reminds me of being 10 years old and comparing Ferrari's and Lamborghini's with elementary school kids. As I said from the beginning, this is my experience. *My* iPad Mini easily outlasts *my* Nexus 7 2013 in battery life. My disclaimer: I own and use both devices.

akdj: Maybe it is the widgets that eat up the battery life. I hadn't thought about that. That is why I turned off the "Live Wallpapers". Not a great feature if it eats battery as quickly as it does.

Don

14. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Android allows you to actually see what ate your battery. Can you post a screenshot of Settings->Battery on your N7? If this is the 2013 N7 you are likely to be running a problematic app in the background. I get very good battery life on Wifi browsing workload.

15. Doth thread starter macrumors member

Doth

I forgot it would let you do that. Here is a screen shot.

[​IMG]

16. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

While I haven't done any detailed comparison, I do have both 2013 Nexus 7 and a full-sized iPad (3, not 4). I strongly prefer the iPad.

From a hardware perspective, the Nexus 7 is very impressive. Software is another story. Even the iPad 3 feels faster in browsing. I tend to browse in landscape mode, and the Nexus 7 just feels cramped, in addition to displaying less of the page, and showing smaller type. For older users, type size is a big deal. Retina-quality resolution is necessary for me, but not sufficient.

I don't really get what it is about Android that people like. I'm not crazy about widgets. iOS7 has caught up on notifications. Basically, though, Android just feels boring, and perhaps a bit awkward and foreign, still. (I had no trouble adapting to Windows 8, so I don't think it's just me.)

Also, I'm not bought into the Google ecosystem, which is probably Android's biggest strength.

17. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Facebook app is generally the well known battery hog - I find it pointlessly invasive - FB looks and acts the same in Chrome. In this case it seems to be Google Services. But for 7h+ doing Facebook and Google Now 17% is not such a bad dip in battery life. If you want to match the iPad disable background data and Google Now. Then it will be pretty much on par with the iPad - functionally and battery wise.

Android is all about customizing so if you prefer battery life over FB and G Now you can have it that way.

18. Doth, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Doth thread starter macrumors member

Doth

Cyloncat, I didn't intend my post to be biased one way or another, it got slightly derailed on the subject of battery life. I think both devices have some positive attributes. Both are very easy to set up, especially if you are into their respective ecosystems. However, once set up within the Google Apps, the iPad holds it's own in the Google Environment.

In all fairness, I have been using the N7 more, but that is just because it is a newer "toy". For most of my uses, the iPad is my preferred tool.

I also failed to mention that I do not play games on either devices. I am not sure how that would impact my thoughts.

----------

I had made a point to shut down all apps on the N7 (but as you know, FB runs in the background no matter what). I did not such thing on the Mini, it had several things running, including FB and Google Now. I guess the iPad is much better at battery management.

I am guessing the Google Now Widget might be responsible for most of the battery use. It's such a cool feature, it would be a shame to turn it off.

19. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Turn your brightness down so that it matches the mini.

20. Doth thread starter macrumors member

Doth

They are both on auto dim.

21. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Turn that off.

22. Doth thread starter macrumors member

Doth

If I turn off the all of the widgets and turn down the screen on the N7, that would seem take away two of the cool features of the N7. It probably also saves a lot of battery if I leave it off. ;)

23. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

You basically just admited to draining your battery and not wanting to do anything about it because of a cool factor. Hilarious.

Well, enjoy a crappy battery.

24. Doth thread starter macrumors member

Doth

Ddyracer, They are both set to auto dim, it appears the iPad Mini manages the setting better. In the 7 hours, they both were used for less than 30 minutes, so it was standby time. If the N7 burns battery because of the screen setting while it is in standby mode, I wouldn't call that a cool factor nor that I admitted to draining the battery.

Sorry you feel the N7 has a crappy battery.

25. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

This is nothing but a troll thread.

The Nexus 7 screen destroys the iPad mini screen in every aspect...both objectively and subjective use experience... but this doesn't bother you.

So then you are presented with real world benchmarks, conducted by a reputable source and with good methodology and you dismiss them as a "pretty chart". Let me guess, you haven't actually done any proper testing of battery life, the iPad mini just "feels" longer? :rolleyes:

----------

So exactly how are you able to speak of long term performance and stability of the new Nexus 7 when you've only owned it for 2 weeks? Or, are you claiming that your device has already gotten "slower with time"?