iPad mini iPad Mini vs Nexus 7 for In-Car Navigation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheSandman2236, Oct 31, 2012.

1. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

I can pretty much answer my own question here (that I want the LTE iPad Mini 32GB) -- but I'm looking for an over all tablet that I can use for long road trips (I drive from Atlanta to Chicago and Detroit on a regular basis). I'll be using it mounted on my dashboard for navigation (using Google Maps OR iOS 6 Maps), music, podcasts, and maybe listening to a movie while I'm on my 12 hour drives. Plus this frees up my iPhone 5 for other uses and saves the battery.

iPad Mini (Black) 32GB 4G (AT&T LTE) - $559
    Nexus 7 32GB w/ 4G (HSPA) - $299

I guess do want to pay an extra $260 just to have the Mini. I'm well into the ecosystem here, I guess I'm just using this thread as a sounding board to make sure I'm not nuts. What do you guys think about this in general?

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

If you're going to be using it just for navigation, then get the Nexus 7 because it's cheaper, plus it has Google Maps.

3. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I plan on using mine as a GPS for work. Also use it to keep and store my workorders and notes for my work days. I ordered a mount for between the seats. Just need the mini to go with it!!

I'm researching GPS apps right now to see what's best.

For me the iPad makes the most sense cause I'm sucked into apples world already with everything else I have :)

4. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

It will partially be for navigation - but will also be my everyday tablet, I guess when I look at the price I just have to justify it as -- "you bought into the ecosystem" to pay the extra $260.

5. dthree36 macrumors regular

If money is not the issue... and maybe one day you want to use it for something other than navigation, get the mini. If you just want it for that sole purpose and money is an issue... Nexus 7.

6. DreamSTi macrumors member

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

You're in a car. You can charge devices while driving.

8. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm leaning toward Mini.

Do you have one currently? Hows the GPS on it?

As it would be if needed. Though I need to get a better charger for my IP5 -- it doesn't seem to want to charge all the way to 100% while using GPS.

9. takeshi74, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Comes down to a lot of personal preference. While Google Maps Nav is a good app and you can also navigate with Maps I'd highly suggest considering a nav app with locally stored map data. That said, that's also a matter of preference.

Not much "if" to it if you're using the GPS receiver (on any device). If your charger isn't keeping up then pay attention to the current supplied by the charger when shopping. I don't recall the specs for the tablets you're considering off the top of my head.

Is cheaper one of the OP's major concerns? If that was the deciding point then it seems the OP would have already reached a decision.

10. hyteckit Guest

I say get the Nexus 7.

Just make sure you can see the Nexus screen in the sunlight.

I try to use my Acer Iconia 7" tablet as a GPS, but the screen is crap in the sun. Can't see a darn thing.

So I stick with my iPhone 4S screen which I can see clearly.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

While not the coolest answer, the price for a dedicated GPS has never been lower. You can get a first-rate device with "lifetime" maps and traffic rerouting for under $150. If you do a lot of driving it's worth considering.

12. DreamSTi macrumors member

Yes I have one and the GPS is rock solid from what I can tell, but I do not use it for navigation and it rarely leaves my house.

13. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I won't chime in on the Nexus 7 vs. iOS device, but I will say that neither Google maps nor iOS maps are a good idea for road trips. What will you do when you turn down that all-but-abandoned farm road by accident and you've got no cell data or even GPRS?

My wife did exactly this when we were moving from Denver to Houston in the middle of Kansas. No cell service. She was driving my car, while I was driving the U-Haul towing her car on a trailer. So, U-Turns were not an option. My Garmin saved the day.

Also, I use my 4S for navigation quite a bit, and I sometimes find that too distracting. I can only imagine a bigger screen being worse.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

^^ -- exactly! if you have no cell service you are up the creek.

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Does anyone know if the LTE iPads provide turn-by-turn voice nav using the Maps app? My wifi ipad does not. Just wondering if it requires LTE or if no iPads get turn-by-turn with voice.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

From Apple's iOS Maps page:

"Turn-by-turn navigation is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Flyover is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply."

17. dacreativeguy, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Cool.

One thing that is driving me crazy about the map changeover is all the apps that send you to the Maps app. They all use "maps.google.com...", which now directs to the Google Maps Web App in Safari. Since "maps.apple.com" is required to direct to the new Maps app, all the integrations have been broken.

BTW: For OP, I have a Nexus 7 and the offline maps are really nice if you don't have service. You just select a region and the maps app downloads the map for offline use. The Apple Maps app (on my iphone) also seems to automatically download maps when you start navigation, but if you stop nav and then start again in an area with no service, you are out of luck. That was kind of annoying on a recent trip through northern AZ.

18. davidoloan macrumors 6502

I find that the latest models are very much built down to a price. The touch screen on my new TomTom's are really poor compared to the older models and not a patch on the current phones. It doesn't respond, then it responds 3 times in a row, because you pressed it 3 times because it didn't respond. Even the speakers are much worse than they used to be. On the European TomToms there is not even enough room to fit the map that comes with it. They suggest you download a section i.e. your country or buy a card if you want to put the whole map on.

Looking forward to finding out if the iPad mini makes an first class sat nav and car entertainment device. Surprised more people are not interested in it as a driving solution.

19. Farplaner macrumors 6502

I want to point out that Google Maps on Android offers offline map access. If you're on a road trip, just cache your maps of your route beforehand and even if you lose cellular data access, you'll still get maps.

And I agree, if GPS is important to you, I'd get the Nexus 7. It sounds like you've already made a decision to go with the mini though.

20. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I decided to order the 32gb lte mini. Bought my wife the 64gb wifi...deff. Worthwhile. Between the 4th gen iPad and the mini (in this situation) it's a no brainer.