iPad mini - where to buy one in non-Apple store in London?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WilliamLondon, Oct 26, 2012.

1. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I pre-ordered an iPad mini this morning, but the estimated delivery date of the one I ordered (Black 16GB) was 16 November, so I cancelled the order. I figured I'd have a good chance of finding it in a physical location in London before the 16th of November - perhaps that's wishful thinking.

Just wondering what others are planning on doing or what others can suggest if the Apple Retail Stores in London run out of stock of certain models of the iPad mini on the 2nd - is PC World planning to stock it from 2 November? Micro Anvika? Anyone know? I've followed certain product releases in the past and if you go in after the initial rush to these stores at 0'dark-30, you're likely to find what you want even midday, so thought that might be the best route. Bad idea? Good idea? Any better ideas? Many thanks!

2. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

It's only available at Apple Stores, you'll probably need to queue early to guarantee one now.

From the iPad Store page

3. WilliamLondon thread starter macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Has the iPad Store page ever promoted other stores? Just curious, I'm completely ignorant in this regard, but I wouldn't assume they would do anything but support the product in their own store and leave it to others to promote the product in theirs. Did they say something else when they launched other products?

4. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Yes, it has had a link to authorised stockists in the past. I remember it being there when the iPad 2 launched.

Do a search of the big authorised stockists, PC World, Currys, John Lewis, Argos, all are only showing "register your interest" links.

5. WilliamLondon thread starter macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I've seen the registration page for PC World (signed it even), and it tells me nothing, but that's more than US buyers get from the Best Buy site, which I can't imagine won't have the device from day 1.

The iPad gen 1 was at all stores, and I remember the stories about how it was available from all these other stockists when people camped out in front of the Apple Retail Stores only (much to the delight of Apple and the chagrin of Microsoft<smirk>).

Is there any indication that other retail outlets won't be getting this device day 1, i.e. 2 November?

6. J400uk macrumors regular

I don't understand why non-Apple stores won't get it, in the past (e.g. original iPad launch) it was available to buy on the day.

7. d123, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Stock availability?

I was passing a Currys this morning, they have no idea. Mini is "before Christmas" and they already have the "new iPad" in stock :confused: .

I think Apple made a mistake with this stupid "new iPad" name between "new iPad" 3rd gen and "new iPad" 4th gen. It's going to allow a lot of non technical buyers to get caught out by less than ethical or plain dumb retailers.

8. J400uk macrumors regular

Just rang up the Canary Wharf store and got told they'll be stocking it from 8am Friday this week. No reservations just first come first served :)

9. WilliamLondon thread starter macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

That's what I was hoping for, thanks much, this gives me hope there will be units to find without the mindless and pointless queueing! And Canary Wharf is not far from me, so I'd be happy to travel there as well. :)