iPad mini...why not nano?

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Wondering why everyone thinks the new iPad will be called the iPad mini and not the nano? Cos nano is too small? Daft question but any other names for it people can think of?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Because there's technically already an iPad nano. They just call it something different.

Well, essentially yes. Nano implies significantly smaller. These will be closer in size. Remember the iPod mini came first.

Because there's technically already an iPad nano. They just call it something different.
I understand what you mean... But no. That's not a good reason.

For what it's worth, I think it'll just be called "iPad". Crazy I know. Do you have a MacBook air mini? No you have a MacBook air in either 11" or 13" versions. iPad will come in 8" or 10" versions.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Gruber suggested iPad Air. This is a much better name for it.

A lot of iPad owners wonder why anyone would want less screen real estate. That's not the point. The point is portability. Light, thin, and small are positives.

iPad Mini associates it with the Mac Mini, which is a slow Mac aimed at people who can't afford Macs.

iPad Air associates it with the MacBook Air, a sleek and successful ultraportable laptop.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Just iPad.. Mini makes me think of the hideous (yet popular) iPod Minis.

culverhouse

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
I think it will be simply "iPad." There are different sized iMacs, MacBook Pros, and Macbook Airs, yet they're all called the same thing within their respective brands despite their varying screen size.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I think it will be simply "iPad." There are different sized iMacs, MacBook Pros, and Macbook Airs, yet they're all called the same thing within their respective brands despite their varying screen size.
More reason for them to get rid of generation number out of the name.
It'll just be iPad 8 and iPad 10. Then iPad goes to 11 next march. ;)
That would set them up for more than 2 sizes down the track.

The other possibility is they have an all new name.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Comparatively, it's more like Micro :D
Comparatively micro would be 1/1,000,000 the size and a nano would be 1/1,000,000,000. Both would be unusable, and micro just sounds silly. Since there is a soon to be 4" nano, mini would be my most likely guess.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Comparatively micro would be 1/1,000,000 the size and a nano would be 1/1,000,000,000. Both would be unusable, and micro just sounds silly. Since there is a soon to be 4" nano, mini would be my most likely guess.
Silly? That was my point, obsessing over model names, like some do via seemingly endless arguments over what they think it should be, makes me laugh. It's hardly worth being so serious about it :)

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
did someone just insult the Mac mini and called it "slow"? take this back....iPad Air makes sense though.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
iPad Mini associates it with the Mac Mini, which is a slow Mac aimed at people who can't afford Macs.
Are you an elitists or an ass? Not everyone wants a monitor integrated into their computer nor do they need professional $2500 tower. A 2.3Ghz i5 is more than enough computing power for 95% of the general computing population out there. How much power does it really take to surf facebook and use iPhoto? Already have a nice 23" monitor from your PC? Then why buy an iMac if you don't need the quad CPU that most don't? Your statement makes absolutely 0 sense. Heck, I don't even own a Mini and find it offensive.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I think it'll just be called the iPad - iPad 7" and iPad 10" just the way Macbook Air and Macbook Pro's don't have different names for different sizes.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Agree.

This will simply be iPad, now available in 8" or 10". No new specific name similar to the naming of the new iPad, not iPad 3.
I concur. More like.

current
iPad (3rd generation) (early 2012)

upcoming
iPad (3rd generation) (late 2012)
7.8" or 9.7"
new dock connector
16 or 32 or 64 GB
wifi-only or wifi+cellular

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Gruber suggested iPad Air. This is a much better name for it.

A lot of iPad owners wonder why anyone would want less screen real estate. That's not the point. The point is portability. Light, thin, and small are positives.

iPad Air associates it with the MacBook Air, a sleek and successful ultraportable laptop.
you must really not understand what exactly the CPU ghz means... just because it isnt as expensive as a macbook or imac doesnt mean its slow :eek:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

i dunno if you can understand that but if you need help, myself or many others would be glad to help :)

some people are so ignorant.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Are you an elitists or an ass? Your statement makes absolutely 0 sense. Heck, I don't even own a Mini and find it offensive.
some people are so ignorant.
I bought a first generation Mac Mini which came, brand new, with a slow CPU that was a full generation back. It included so little memory that even with no large applications running, the OS was constantly swapping out to the hard drive, which itself was an incredibly slow 5400 rpm model and therefore massively compounded the swapping problem. It was the only computer I ever bought that, brand new, felt slow and underpowered.

That was my experience. Maybe yours is different.

I wrote a poor statement that was overgeneralized. You guys are specifically insulting. But thanks for jumping straight to "elitist", "ass", and "ignorant".

Accusing me of being offensive? Pot, kettle, black.