iPad Mini wifi password always incorrect

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jonomo, Nov 15, 2015.

1. jonomo, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

jonomo macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a iPad Mini that's been in storage for a while and I started to use it and the wifi password is always incorrect. It only accepts wifi passwords that are all numbers ONLY, and even then, the wifi is slow and dodgy. Many sites like Apple's won't load up at all. This is with every router I've tried, including tethering, and mobile hotspots.

I've done the following:
    Full factory reset
    Network reset
    Soft reset
    Copy pasting the password
    Turning off wifi networking

I've looked up the issue and pretty much done everything that was recommended above.

Is it a hardware issue? Any advice?

Thanks
    J

2. rigormortis, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

use the hash, don't use the wifi password

how to get the hash

go to https://www.wireshark.org/tools/wpa-psk.html
    enter your SSID name like "netgear"
    enter your passphrase , like "password1"
    click generate PSK

nothing is sent over the net. it will spit out the preshared key.
    which for this example is 953568b49d9f4564f01d1c5dbecfcaba3cf27d27ad141673d266ccdb6c28446f

forget the wifi network you are connecting to.
    give it the preshared key you generated.

if that does not work, then you know its either the ipad or the router and if its not working on different routers and you did a DFU, then you know for sure that your ipad is defective.

back in the day i had an amazon kindle and my very first airport extreme, and it was not connecting to my airport. amazon was telling people that the airport extreme was not compatible with the kindle keyboard 3g. and thats when i learned that it was AMAZON'S fault. and it was not calculating the preshared key correctly.

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

does it seem to be working fine and then your internet goes out after an hour and you have to reconnect?

that shows a problem with the router rekeying. WPA and WPA2 rekeys every 60 minutes ( by default ) and every hour on the hour, there is a new cipher for that specific time interval. some routers might have bugs in them that prevent them from passing the new cipher to your wireless client, and then your wireless client has to reconnect to the wifi network to get the current cipher

some routers you can change the rekeying frequency to any time you choose. a router that changes its key every few minutes is considered more secure then a router that changes its key every 60 minutes.

remember. your wifi password or wifi preshared key IS NOT THE ACTUAL CIPHER that is being used to encrypt the network traffic itself.

thats the only two things i can suggest