iPad mini iPad Mini with retina display, battery life help

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipadminigirl, May 10, 2014.

1. ipadminigirl macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have an ipad min with retina display. I got it for my birthday in December. I was averaging 15 hours of usage and 3 days of standby with 30% battery left. Now I'm getting a day of standby and 12.hours of usage. This began to happen at the beginning of May. I noticed it after I bought a game. The battery was draining quickly. I beat the game and deleted it. I also detected the apps I don't use. The battery life seems to have gotten worse after the 7.11 update. I have did resets and a few discharges and recharges too. No change. It seems to drop 6% an hour. Right now it's at 7 hrs 52 mins usage 1 day 13 hrs standby 46%. Any advice on how to extend my life. I've cut off app refresh Bluetooth lowered brightness etc. I shouldn't have to charge it everyday. I want to be able to keep my ipad for a few years

2. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Sounds like awesome battery life to me....not sure why the complaints?

3. ipadminigirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Dropped 3 percent since post.

It's dropped 3 percent in 15 mins from just reading that can be normal. Will I get 5 yearsish out of my ipad if it's charged everyday?

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Who cares, just enjoy it right now!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't worry about the percentage points, just enjoy it. The odds are probably against the iPad's batter lasting 5 years. My cell phone which gets used every day and charged every day, its battery starts showing wear and tear after 2 years

6. Nick80835 macrumors newbie

The iPad Mini Retina has the best battery life of every iPad running iOS 7.1/7.1.1. But if you wish to squeeze extra life, turning off push notifications work, also did you happen to turn up the brightness?

7. sherlockeb macrumors newbie

8. ipadminigirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I keep it at lass than 40

----------

Hopefully I can get a few good years out of it. 550 bucks isn't cheap.

9. ipadminigirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Help iPad mini with has good battery life for an hour bag then the battery drains

Hi everyone, I don't know if you see my post about my iPad batteries battery life I was getting 15 hours after the 15 hours my battery would be at 30%. no, after I charge it it stays at percent for about an hour and 20 minutes. Then after that it starts to drop off draining 6% an hour. Sometimes more. I have done everything shut off everything done resets I don't know what else to do people on the forum tell me I'm being paranoid but this can't be normal. I went from 85% to 83% in the few minutes just typing this post. It's the new iPad mini with retina display and I've only had it since December. This problem started at the end of last month

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

Excessive battery drain can be caused by many factors.

1) How many background apps do you have running?
    2) Do you have App refresh running in the background?
    3) What's the brightness level?
    4) If you are listening to audio, how high is the volume?
    5) Did you try a hardware reset? Home + Power button?

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

11. ipadminigirl thread starter macrumors newbie

idk what to do

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

Check your apps and see if any have push notification enabled i.e. Mail apps, news reader as well as social type apps that alert you to messages or alerts.

13. Night Spring, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Try running down the battery until it shuts off, and then recharge it back to 100%. That should help caliberate the battery meter.

But it's normal for the battery usage to vary quite a bit. Like your example of the battery going from 85% to 83% while you were typing your post -- that by itself tells us nothing about how your battery is doing. The thing to do is to start with your iPad at 100% battery, and keep using it like normal until you get the 5% left warning. Then check Settings > General > Usage > Time Since Last Full Charge. If that is less than nine hours, you might want to call Apple. And btw, this is a new iPad? Is it still under warranty?

Also, a battery saving tip for iOS 7.
    Check Settings > General > Background App Refresh, and turn off all apps other than the ones you absolutely know that you want them to be refreshing in the background.

14. ipadminigirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Did that too. Do you think my ipad has gone bad?

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, like I said, how long is it lasting you, exactly?

16. ipadminigirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't see your post sorry like 9ish hours if I don't fully drain it. It just seems drastic to go from 15 to that

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

15 is insanely good. 11-10 hours is about normal. 9 is pushing the edge of acceptable. If it bothers you, you should call Apple. If they think that's outside the acceptable range, they'll replace it. But I'm not sure if 9 hours will be considered acceptable or not.

18. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I turn off the battery percentage on my phone and iPad. It's easier to just use it until it needs to be charged.

19. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

This.

The battery percentage meter calibrates based on an algorithm of usage up to that point. It uses this algorithm to estimate the percentage of the battery, and that doesn't always mean it's accurate.

You're talking about 15 hours of usage, which is excellent. Go turn off the percentage and stop stressing over your iPad that's working perfectly.

The amount of people that attempt to find something wrong when there's no real issue is simply astounding.

20. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you are that worried, do as what others mentioned. Turn off the battery percentage display and just use your device. Stop stressing over battery life.

21. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

A possible explanation for the shorter battery life are "runaway" apps using more memory than normal. If you're really concerned, I would do a clean install.

Honestly, the battery life isn't so horrible that it's unusable, so I'll say live with it and wait for the next iOS update.

22. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Push notifications do not drain the battery.

23. c1phr macrumors 6502

And really, stop closing your background applications. This is NOT a good idea. Further, to agree with what's already been said, 9 hours is pretty good battery life. 15 was insanely good, but honestly, you're now complaining that your previously above expected battery life has dropped closer to normal in 6 months of use. Batteries are consumable items, you can hope to get a few years out of your device, but you need to realize that batteries are going to wear out.

http://lifehacker.com/quitting-apps-in-ios-actually-worsens-battery-life-1560086834