iPad mini iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular availability

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hberg, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Hberg macrumors member

I wonder when the iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular will be available for pickup at Apple Stores in the United States? I know the iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi is available for pickup at local Apple Stores, but I am interested in the Wi-Fi + Cellular

I've searched several zip codes throughout the US and none of the Apple Stores have the Wi-Fi + Cellular available for pickup. I've also checked the the Cellular carries and they do not have the Wi-Fi + Cellular available.

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

So far it doesn't look like there are any (I have not seen a single post of a user claiming they have acquired a Cellular model). That could change within the next 24-48 hours.

Only Apple knows for sure what the stock is and when it will be available. They could be holding the stock to fulfill online orders first.

Hard to say.

3. GBR macrumors 6502

I am also looking for a LTE iPad Mini w/ Retina. I've gone back and forth trying to decide between ordering one online or waiting until I can just grab one at my local Apple store. In the past I've found if the shipping times are very long on the website the odds are in my favor that I'll be able to get one in-store before one would ship to me.

In this case LTE's are shipping in 5-10 business days so best case it would show up by thursday-friday next week, worst case closer do Dec 3rd. I'm thinking by this time next week there will be LTE iPad mini's at the apple store to pick up, probably not too many but they will be there. I plan on checking the website for store pickup availability often over the next week or so. I would also imagine that when the LTE models do ship they will go to apple stores, best buys, and carrier stores all at the same time, so odds are you can get one at one of those stores no problem.

4. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I ordered online (5-10 day). If in-store pick up becomes available before it ships, I'll order for pick up and cancel my online order.

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

*thumbs up*

This is definitely the best path at the moment.

6. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

I think this morning 64 and 128 wifi had the same ship time as the cellular modules but now those seem to be available with in store reservation. I ordered a cellular version and am hoping the delivery of online orders will be somewhat inline with in store availability but the 11/26 - 12/4 delivery date is worrisome.

7. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

That's odd I haven't seen any near me for in-store pick-up. I'm in Cali.

8. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Why is it worrisome ?

9. GBR macrumors 6502

On a side note, it is somewhat frustrating that Apple continues to snub those who want to spend more money on cellular versions of their iPads by not having those ready when the wifi ones are. This happened when I ordered my original cellular iPad and when I ordered my cellular iPad mini. Both those models shipped weeks after the wifi units did.

I know, 1st world problems, and in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. I don't feel entitled or anything, it would just be nice for them to ship all versions of a product at the same time. I mean, come on, I have a severe disorder that draws me to shiny new things and knowing that right now I could run down to the Apple store and pick up the wifi version of what I want is a struggle...

10. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

Given the 64 and 128 availability, I have a suspicion lte modules may be available for in-store pick up much sooner than online order expected delivery dates.

11. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen any in the Bay Area either. Ordered at mid night but will keep checking in case something pops up local. If not, I'll have one by dec 3rd. No big deal.

12. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I agree.

13. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple is deliberately snubbing people by doing that. They just don't have sufficient quantities yet.

They were both (Wifi and LTE) technically released the same day, it's just taking them a few extra days to get the LTE models out. Unlike the iPad 1 where the 3G version came a month later.

14. GBR macrumors 6502

I agree, I don't think it's deliberate. But, this isn't their first time around the block, do they not know it takes a little more time to produce the LTE versions? You'd think they would have this down to a science by now.

Again, so I don't get flamed, no super big deal, it would just be nice.

15. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Oh OK ! In my country (France ) I don't think you can order online and pick up and they won't say anything over the phone so I can't actually camp in front of the store ;)
    All Minis since the store was back up this morning are 5 to 10 shipping times and have not changed since then ..

16. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Would you have preferred them to delay the release until 11/22, if they had been able to have them both ship at the same time on that date?

17. GBR macrumors 6502

I guess I would have preferred that they knew from the very beginning the cellular versions take a few more days to produce so begin that production sooner, then you have all models ready at the same time. But then again, this launch was such a surprise they could have gone with launching this Friday with all models and everyone would have still been happy. They launch many new products each year and they are in control of when things are announced and released, wouldn't you think at some point they'd have it working like a well oiled machine and have more product at launches. I mean, they still aren't caught up with gold iPhone production and it's been several weeks.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you think Apple is doing anything but building them as fast as they can and getting them out as fast as possible, you'd be mistaken. They gain nothing from holding back and would lose profit. These myths of creating demand and strategic postponement of launches are just that. Production issues are the more likely cause of release delays. They can only produce so many, so they focus on the ones that their sales history tells them sell better. It's not a big conspiracy. It's selling as many as they can as fast as they can.

19. GBR macrumors 6502

And I do agree, this conversation went much farther than I intended. I don't think it's any kind of conspiracy, I'm just pointing out that it has been a trend with iPad releases that the cellular models seem to usually launch later than the wifi versions, sometimes weeks later. I'm just hoping that at some point apple can get it to where all versions of a product are available in store at launch day. Whether that's starting cellular production earlier or planning better when to announce/release products.