iPad mini iPad Mini with Retina Display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kyrank, Oct 27, 2013.

1. kyrank, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

kyrank macrumors newbie

I'm a teenage girl and I would really like to get an iPad mini, but I still don't know if it's worth it. I have an iPhone 4S and a kindle 2 (the really old one). I love reading, but I also love watching videos and taking pictures. I can't decide if it's worth it to spend the extra money when I already have an iPhone, even though a larger screen would be awesome. Also I have a ton of music so I would probably have to get the 32GB, which is 499. I don't know what to do because getting a kindle paperwhite wouldn't be awful. Overall, I just need to know what combination of devices is good without going overboard and if the price is something I could handle. Oh and also what is better about the mini than an iPhone besides the larger screen?

2. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

If money is a serious issue, then consider the new Kindle HDX or Nexus 7. The Galaxy Tabs are fairly cheap, but have lower resolution screens. If money isn't a huge issue, the Mini with Retina is definitely going to be your best option.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Or wait a while for the Mini to hit the refurb store and save 10 or 15%.

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Curious, how long does it usually take before Apple products hit their refurb store?

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

The timing varies, but the iPad Mini won't be on shelves until sometime later in November, so, depending on sales, probably late January or February.

6. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Mini 1st gen didn't show up in the refurb section until Feb or so, about 4 months after release.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I never even considered an Iphone because of the small screen. I have the current Mini and use it alot each day for surfing, playing games, watching videos and reading.

The new Mini will completely blow away my previous expereince considering now it includes a Retina display and a specs bump.

Try it out since you can handle the price. Most retail stores offer a return period anyway.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I was on the fence about this too when the original iPad Mini came out.... I never wanted a regular iPad but the Mini intrigued me.... I have a MBP and an iPhone so I thought it would be redundant...... I decided to pick one up and try it during the 14 day return period..... I found myself using it so much to just surf the web around the house, read books in bed, using it on the couch while watching tv, watching videos on my commute to work... Needless to say I ended up keeping it, the 14 day return period came and went..... Now I am selling it to a buddy and getting the retina Mini when it's released.

9. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I know it seems pricey, but you're going to have the very best experience with the retina iPad mini. You could always just keep using your kindle for reading, but if that were something you'd be okay with doing, then you wouldn't be thinking about getting an iPad mini now would you :) . I think you would absolutely love the iPad mini retina for reading, and I also think that you would find it a joy to use for watching videos, and playing games (bigger screen than your phone too), and all other uses for the iPad. There is always a cheaper alternative for your uses, but you're never going to have the same experience as with the wonderful iPad.

That's why millions keep buying it, while other's price their products way cheaper to try and grab people. Simple economics.

Also, side note; I don't think it's "going overboard" to get an iPad. If you have the kindle and still use that for reading you can either 1) Sell it to gain a few bucks to put towards the iPad, or 2) hand it to a sibling to use. Think of it as an upgrade, not adding another device to your arsenal :p

It'll probably be a little while...these aren't gonna be selling until mid November. My guess is around February for the refurbs.