iPAD Mini won't accept Apple ID

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hudson23, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Hudson23 macrumors newbie

I have had an iPad Mini for about a year now. It is mainly used by my son at school. i also have an iPhone and an iPad Air which I had before the iPad mini. Since I set up my Apple ID about 5 years ago I have never changed the password. I have never had any issues with entering my Apple ID and Password on the iPhone or iPad Air.

For the third time now on the iPad Mini I am having problems. It was initially on iOS 7 and now on iOS 8. It seems to lose the iMessage settings and when I go to turn them on again it won't accept my password. Repeatedly it tells me I have the incorrect password and then finally gives me a message telling me to reset my password. It will also do the same with iCloud.

Previously I have fixed this by doing a full reset of the iPad. However, it is clear that this doesn't resolve the issue and what I really need to know is how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I'm going to ask some dumb questions but I have to. Are you using the same ID that imessGe was setup with? Is the password in fact right?

After that, you may just want to call apple support and take care of a password reset over the phone for your ID. I had to do this with my youngest daughters ipad and it solved issues for us. Just a thought. It doesn't sound like it's going to fix itself or anything easy like that. ;)

3. Hudson23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks s2mikey. I am indeed using the same ID imessage was set up with. I only have one and my iphone and both iPads were set up using it.

I may have to change my password but I would really rather not. My phone and Air are fine. I can use iMessage, iCloud, purchase apps, music, books without issue. If it were something to do with the setup on the Mini then that should have been fixed by wiping the thing, twice.

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yes, wiping the mini should have rectified anything specifically wrong with that device so it can't be that. Hmmmmmm.

See if anyone else replies. Kind of odd though that you can use the credentials on other devices but not the mini. Did you do a setup as new when you wiped the mini? Just curious.

5. ladysman macrumors regular

Did you ever get this figured out? My daughters ipad is doing the same thing. Password is 100% correct. It's an iPad mini still on ios7.

I can't activate iMessage or FaceTime. Says password isn't correct. I know it's correct. I've tried a bunch of things. Nothing has worked.

Any info on suggestions I'm all ears!

6. Hudson23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted the iMessage and iCloud accounts and did a General Settings > Reset > Reset All Settings. This one doesn't delete any data (pictures, music, app saves).

Then on start up I added the account back on and it is working fine at the moment. That is not to say it won't happen again. The only odd thing I noticed was that my son had activated the iCloud himself (I had purposely not done it for him) but he had used a different username. I am not sure if this confused the authentication service.

7. ladysman macrumors regular

Turns out mine was related to having 2 step verification on. As soon as I created Application specific passwords for each, that fixed it!

8. deaglecat macrumors 6502

Same fix. 2 step authentication. Need a password.

Wish apple would put up a message saying that you need to do this.