Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soonadog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Last night my iPad mini worked fine. This morning it won't turn on. I pressed the home button, I held the lock button for a long time, I held the home button and the lock button together, I plugged it into the charger, I plugged it into my computer as if to sync it with iTunes, - nothing. Blank screen. It didn't show up on iTunes either.

I did update to iOS 8 a week or so ago but everything seemed fine. I was installing an app last night but put it down before checking that it had installed.

Any ideas?

gowings23

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Any other ideas on this? My daughter's iPad mini retina is always charged through the wall and now the screen is all black and if you hold the home button Siri will come on, but nothing shows on the screen at all. I've tried holding the home button and power button for the 30 seconds plus to try and reset but nothing is working.

edhchoe1

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2015
My iPad mini retina won't turn on either. It is 14 months old so Apple said I will have to pay $250 to get a replacement. Sucks.

edhchoe1

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2015
Update:
I called about a dozen places that advertise that they repair iPads. None of them really repair iPads. They only replace the touch screen. But my iPad's problem was not the the screen but it was an internal problem. I called and they say they can take a look at it so I drive there and they say they can't fix it. I wasted time and gas and finally decided to pay up $250 and went to the Apple store again.
When I got there, they said I had to remove the iPad from my find my iPhone. But it was not under my Apple ID. Apple Genius insisted that I had to unlink it before I can get the exchange! But it was not on there. What do i do?? Then she said if I can show them the original receipt, the manager can delete it from my account. whatever.. so I tried to look for the purchase email from 2014. No luck. Then I asked her if Apple would have the proof of purchase. She then asked where I had purchased it. I said here? (where else..) She then said, oh? Then she types in the serial number from the back of the iPad mini into her laptop and says they had the wrong serial number in the file and that's why they had insisted that I remove it from my Find my iPhone because it could have been a stolen iPad.

What happened was that the Apple 'Genius' mis-typed the serial number at the store when I went there the first time. As a result, Apple database thought my iPad mini was purchased in Bangkok. And that's why they asked for $250.
My balance due was only $99!
I came home with a refurb iPad mini.

If they told me it would be $99 two weeks ago, I would have paid it walked out of there with a refurb then. What a waste of time and gas because that 'Genius' mis-typed my serial number. @#$QT$%^@#$^$#^T@W

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.