iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrfabio, Oct 2, 2012.

1. mrfabio macrumors member

Who knows which resolution will new iPad mini use?! Will it use a 16:9 resolution?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

16:9 is an "aspect ratio" not a resolution.

3. mrfabio thread starter macrumors member

I know, i was alluding that..but with "type" as implicit term..just to be easy and synthetic..

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Is that the one of the rumors? The iPad mini will have a 16:9 aspect ratio? Did I miss that?

I wonder if they plan to switch the next iPad (4th Gen) to 16:9 as well

5. Cobster macrumors member

Apple knows... What makes you think that anyone else knows...? Nobody knows the specs of Ipad mini...nobody even knows the name of the device...

6. mrfabio thread starter macrumors member

I would have it, 16x9 is too perfect for multimedia, streaming..I hate the horizontal black bars! especially when apps don't manage video zooming!..like Sky Go!!!

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

16:9 could work for the mini but the full size iPad would be unwieldy in 16:9.

8. hkfan24 macrumors regular

Who knows? You're joking right? You're asking about specs for a product that has yet to be announced. All we have to base it on is rumors. We don't even have a definite screen size so clearly no one can answer this.

9. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

iPad Mini, possibly.. regular iPad.. not a chance, it would be so oddly shaped.

10. mrfabio thread starter macrumors member

@Southernboyj totally agree about iPad, on the homepage a rumors says 1024x768 for the mini one.. So I guess it is a tablet just for fighting with Amazon/Samsung low prices..

11. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

12. Stetrain, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

They would not call it an iPad and use a 16:9 aspect ratio.

It will either:

A) be called an iPad Mini and use a 4:3 aspect ratio (1024x768 or 2048x1536) and run iPad apps

or B) be called something else (iPod touch XL? lol) and run 1136x640 apps like the iPhone 5 and iPod touch.

I don't think they would release an iPad Mini that runs different apps than the full size iPad.

Also there's the interesting point that a 7.85" 1024x768 (or retina version 2048x1536) display works very well for displaying full size iPad apps while still making UI elements large enough to use.

An iPad app displayed on such a screen will display UI elements (buttons, toolbars, etc.) at the exact same physical size as the same elements on an iPhone or iPod touch. That's because on a normal iPad those standard UI elements are displayed physically larger than on the iPhone and iPod touch, even on fully native iPad apps.

13. big samm macrumors 65816

I hope the screen will be retina compatible...

14. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

A post from someone in another thread had a cool idea. Offer a non-retina display at $249-$299. Offer size increments and 3G/4G/GPS options like with the regular iPad...

Then also offer, a Retina Option for $XX additional. Just like with the MBP and the MBPr. Or combine the 3G/4G/GPS upgrade with a retina display (my choice)

If I were setting the prices:

$249 - 8 GB Wifi Only
    $299 - 16 GB Wifi Only
    $399 - 32 GB Wifi Only
    $499 - 64 GB Wifi Only

$479 - 16 GB Wifi, 4G, GPS, Retina
    $579 - 32 GB Wifi, 4G, GPS, Retina
    $679 - 64 GB Wifi, 4G, GPS, Retina

The 8 GB option is good for people who only want it for web browsing, apps, and reading. I know so many people with an iPhone or iPad that only have apps and photos occupying the storage capacity.

15. hayden21 macrumors member

I agree it would definatly be a standout form factor for the iPad mini, but i think it would be problematic for the full size iPad.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Having a different aspect ratio for the iPad mini would be very problematic. At 1024x786, all iPad 1/2/3 apps will run on the mini un-modified. At 1280x800, existing apps would need to be windowboxed and any new app would have to be completely re-written to make full use of the screen. That means two formats for iPad app and two formats for iPhone/iPod touch apps.

And going 1366x720 (i.e., 720p resolution) or 1280x720 would cause all iPad 1/2/3 apps to break since they wont fit at all (768 pixels vs. 720 pixels).

I think Apple will stick to the 4:3 aspect ratio for the iPad mini. That would require no modification to the existing app library whatsoever.

The shape of the device, however, is rumored to have narrower side bezels than the top and bottom, giving the device itself an overall more rectangular shape akin to a 16:9 ratio.

17. guineapig macrumors regular

I agree.
    Also, the resolution change in the iPhone 5 is definitely better tolerated by devs, as the 5 is the current flagship device.
    The iPad mini will occupy a definitely less prominent space, second also to his bigger predecessor. In my opinion this would not give the devs enough push to make mini-compatible apps.
    I guess the only way out would be to make it 1024x768 (if non retina) or 2048x1536 (if retina).

18. hayden21 macrumors member

I would imagine that if Apple went to a 16:9 ratio for the iPad Mini its likely that would be a shift across all its product lineup. Considering the format is presently in use in the iPhone 5, I don't think it's out of the realm of possiblity. Plus as you mention apps are currently being revised to take advantage of the extra space on the iphone 5, its not nearly as difficult as you make it sound. There aren't two different apps for the iphone 5 and previous version, its the same app just with differentiation on how space will be allocated on the larger screen.

19. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

Given how much care Apple took to protect developers in Iphone 5 by not making the screen full HD (but close enough), it should be pretty clear that Apple will do everything possible to help the developer for the Ipad mini as well. If it is call an Ipad, it will be 4:3 ratio so that all the Ipad family of software can run on it. If it is 16:9 ratio, it will be call Ipod something. But Apple already launched Ipod Touch 5th generation.. There is no reason to have yet another Ipod launch.

My money is in 4:3 with Ipad 2 internal (Apple reworked Ipad 2 internal last year and Ipad 2 shipped now has the lower cost internal with 32nm A5). Rumor has it that Ipad 3 will be relaunched as well with new screen (same resolution but less back light needed), new LTE chip, new Lightening adapter. Thinner, lighter and cheaper to produce (Ipad 3 has one of the worst gross margin. Apple talked about it in 2Q earning call). I give this rumor at least 60/40 possibility..

20. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

All of the rumors are pointing toward 4:3. It also makes the most sense given the existing family.

My personal belief is that the iPad Mini will be non-retina 7.85" screen at 1024x768, and next year for the iPad Mini 2 we will get a retina display in 2048 x 1536 resolution.

After all, Apple's gotta save something big for the next version. Just releasing an iPad Mini is enough of a big thing in itself for this year.

21. hayden21 macrumors member

I'm not really a betting person. My point was that IF Apple makes the iPad Mini in 16:9, it's likely going to be a indication that they plan to make it standard across the lineup, much in the way that the iPod Touch and iPhone 5 both have made.

I think you're making an apples to oranges comparisson by suggesting resoultion and aspect ratio are one in the same. I would still agree that its much more likely that it will be produced in 4:3 vs. 16:9, but I wouldn't rule it out as a strong possiblity considering recent releases. Not to mention if Apple protected developers to the extent that you suggest there would have been more flagship releases supporting the iPhone 5 aspect ration on day one. Not that it was a big deal, early adopters often know the pains of doing so and developers have been quick to release updates, though plenty of the most popular apps remain outdated.

----------

I agree, I don't think it will be sold with the retina display initially. Eventually the retina display will be standard across Apple's product line up I just think the question will be when. The display is a huge chunk of the manufactoring costs and they (Apple) will probably delay adding it to the iPad mini for as long as they can.

22. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Thanks for the link.

Very interesting that IGN seems to agree that it's not logical that an iPad Mini would be released without a retina display. If the specs are similar to an iPad 2, they've got to incorporate some feature or technology with the wow factor, otherwise it'll look like an expensive knock-off of the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD. I think (if it exists) it's going to be a premium 7" tablet to compete against the cheaper ones out there, and it'll have a premium price tag.