iPad mini iPad mini

Mrs G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2019
Is there any possibility that apple might revisit the mini iPad this year?
My husband’s old one is battling to stay alive, as it is unable to update beyond OS9, and is driving him around the bend in the meantime.
The size and weight are so handy. It fits perfectly into a a small manbag and is not as clunky as the bigger one. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel!

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Is there any possibility that apple might revisit the mini iPad this year?
My husband’s old one is battling to stay alive, as it is unable to update beyond OS9, and is driving him around the bend in the meantime.
The size and weight are so handy. It fits perfectly into a a small manbag and is not as clunky as the bigger one. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel!
Yep ! There is a rumor that Apple might release an iPad Mini maybe with the March-April event. Some tech sites, and some tech bloggers have predicted and speculated this citing some Supply Chain sources in China-Taiwan.

Whoakapi

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2010
It definitely sounds like there is a new Mini on the way.

I just hope it has laminated display. But I really can't justify to myself to upgrade to a potential Mini5 if the display is non-laminated.

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
IMO it is beyond a rumor at this point. It is most certainly going to happen this Spring - there's way too much smoke to not have a fire.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
IMO it is beyond a rumor at this point. It is most certainly going to happen this Spring - there's way too much smoke to not have a fire.
I have traditionally been skeptical of YouTubers who claim to know what is about to be announced, but I have found that there are 3 or 4 who are always correct. They're saying there's a new Mini coming soon.

K1221n

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2017
There's people on youtube who make a living speculating on what apple is going to do next. blah blah.

I have traditionally been skeptical of YouTubers who claim to know what is about to be announced, but I have found that there are 3 or 4 who are always correct. They're saying there's a new Mini coming soon.

Reactions: ericwn

Superman730

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
It definitely sounds like there is a new Mini on the way.

I just hope it has laminated display. But I really can't justify to myself to upgrade to a potential Mini5 if the display is non-laminated.
Does the 4 have a laminated display? What is the advantage to having that type of display?
(I’m a display novice and currently have an iPad mini 3 I’m thinking of upgrading)

Whoakapi

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2010
Does the 4 have a laminated display? What is the advantage to having that type of display?
(I’m a display novice and currently have an iPad mini 3 I’m thinking of upgrading)
Yes, the Mini 4 does have a laminated display.

With laminated displays there are no gap between the glass and the actual display. Also, there is less reflection (you can keep a lower brightness and save battery).

I don't think people necessary will notice a big difference. But switching BACK to a non-laminated displays for the Mini 5 would be ridiculous in my perspective.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Yes, the Mini 4 does have a laminated display.

With laminated displays there are no gap between the glass and the actual display. Also, there is less reflection (you can keep a lower brightness and save battery).

I don't think people necessary will notice a big difference. But switching BACK to a non-laminated displays for the Mini 5 would be ridiculous in my perspective.
Thank you for describing the difference in reasonable, non-hyperbolic terms.
thumpsup.gif

Among my current iPads is a Mini 4. It's still great. I've kept it on iOS 10.x because it is the last version of iOS optimized for the Mini.

I agree with you that a laminated screen on the Mini 5 is preferred, but I don't think that "low cost screen" necessarily indicates that the screen will be non-laminated. It's 2019 and the current screen is already "low cost". So maybe/hopefully low cost simply means it won't have TrueTone and ProMotion.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Who are the 3 or 4 who always seem to be correct?