iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stewie1, Mar 26, 2010.

1. stewie1 macrumors member

I've been hemming and hawing about whether to get an iPad. I love new toys. And I use my iPod Touch every day for basic surfing and reading, so I know where I can use the iPad in place of a computer.

But the more I think about it, the more I think I will save my money and put it towards an updated iPod Touch in the fall. It can do everything the iPad can do, with the added benefit of being tiny and pocketable. And the next update should have the super-speedy A4 chip as well.

It seems to me that if the iPad came out first and the iPod touch came out second, everyone would be salivating over the iPod. It does everything the bigger machine does AND it fits in your pocket! Score.

2. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

from the ipod touch I went to the iphone. I will probably be getting a second gen ipad for the ebooks. Reading books is tough on my old eyes on the iphone.The news and articles are great but long form reading not for me. Also I read two books a month.I wind up read books throwing out,so ebooks dont cause clutter a big plus for me.

3. Gold89 macrumors 6502

Posting in wrong thread?? :confused:

4. da-vid macrumors member

Since when did the iPod touch do everything the iPad does? A pop-over on an iPad is the size of an iPod touch. How can you possibly make a claim like that?

If Apple somehow did the physically impossible and made the 3.5" iPod as capable as the 9.7" iPad, yes, obviously everyone would be salivating over that instead of the iPad. But that's not the case.

5. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

While I hope some of the iPad features and apps get ported back down to the iPhone/iPod touch, I don't see them ever being 100% feature equivalent.

The iWork apps for instance are never going to cram every feature into a 3.5" screen, there simply isn't room. Even if the resolutions on the iPhone/iPod touch got increased, that wouldn't make my fingers any smaller. I hope we get something that can open iWork documents on my iPhone, but I'm not really expecting much beyond viewing them.

That being said, with developers now free to imagine better and more complete touch-apps for the iPad, I can see them rolling those improvements into the iPhone versions over time. With two platforms running in parallel, developers are going to want to maximize the return on any invested development time and energy. Many iPad features will trickle down, but not all of them.