iPad Mirroring?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel97, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Do i need an Apple TV to make this feature/function work?

If yes ..

If i turn the iPad 2 mirroring on (IOS5) will the apple TV automatically change the TV's input channel to the correct HDMI to instantly display my ipad screen?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

No u can do it with the hdmi dongle

3. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. anush3 macrumors member

1. You will need Apple TV.
    2. Apple TV does not change input channel automatically. So for example if you were watching youtube using Apple TV and then you change input channel to view over the air broadcast on TV then Apple TV won't change you back to Apple TV channel.
    Bottom line: To be able to get mirroring work you will need to have Apple TV and your TV's input channel be set to correct HDMI that Apple TV is connected to.

5. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

I don't have an iPad 2 but I do have an Apple TV. Judging by the apple TV itself I would say that it will not automatically change to the correct HDMI input when you turn on mirroring. It does not do this for other airplay videos so unless there has been a significant update in the software I would say that it would not do this.

I think Gav2k is saying, if you buy the iPad HDMI lead you could connect the iPad to the TV directly wired. But I could be wrong.

6. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay - would be much nicer if apple could use my homes wireless network and use my TVs internet connection to broadcast straight to it without cables or ATV in between.

Still a way off for me to be interested

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's exactly what I'm saying.

8. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont want apple TV thats the problem - but i want wireless

ATV gives me nothing as i already have Virgin Media TiVo & my Samsung TV has internet with weather bbc iplayer youtube etc etc etc .. i dont need my itunes there aswell ..

such a shame

They should allow wireless mirroring over local networks instead!

9. anush3 macrumors member

That's not going to happen.
    Problem is there is no standard/universal protocols for video transmission over wifi. So that's why no two manufacturer will understand video from each other. So what ipad2 is doing is encoding video and sending over your home wifi to apple tv...apple tv decodes it to digital video and plays it on your tv.

I guess in future there might be TVs with built in airplay (i.e. Apple TV).

So only option for you would be to buy Apple Tv. Buying refurbished will only cost you $85, and you could do more than what internet on your TV can..e.g you could stream photos, music, and movie/videos from your computer and watch on TV.

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I want to be rich.
    I want my own talk show.
    I want
    I want
    I want

Fact of life, we don't always get what we want. In fact, we rarely get exactly what we want. Dealing with this knowledge appropriately is part of the maturing process known as becoming an adult.

Right now, if you want wireless you'll have to use a Apple TV. If you want different, look elsewhere.

11. anush3 macrumors member

I think other way. Nowadays, mobiles have started to offer so much that we hadn't even imagined few years back. It's the greed (or rather human nature) that never makes us content/happy with what they offer.