iPad iPad missing/stolen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rouxeny, May 29, 2014.

1. rouxeny macrumors 6502

My ipad (first version with retina display with 4G, most recent iOS) was somehow misplaced. The last place I remember it was lying next to my sofa. When I came back from work, I couldn't find it. I don't remember bringing it to work, although I sometimes have in the past. It's possible I did. There are no signs of breaking and entering at home, the dog seemed normal when I got home. I thought I had left it somewhere at home and started looking around.

I opened find my iphone, and the ipad was offline. I put it on "Lost mode" with my number to call if found.

About 4 days later, my phone notified me that my ipad had appeared online. It was a few miles away from me, and stayed online for a few minutes.

I drove by the area and house, pretty sketchy. Obviously didn't stop.

I filed a police report, and decided to set the ipad to be remotely erased. The data is more important than the ipad, plus I think criminals are smart enough now not to leave an ipad on, knowing it'll likely be tracked. The cops said if it's trackable, they'll send somebody to the address.

Unfortunately, they haven't turned it on since. I think it's probably been thrown away.

How difficult is it to crack the 4 digit password? I do have my ipad set to automatically erase if an incorrect pw is tried 10 times. I've also changed my passwords for any other related accounts that could have been accessed with my ipad (apple id, email, social media, etc). Anything else I should do?

I wish that starting "Lost mode" would force the ipad to stay on, or take a picture of the user to send to your other device.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am pretty sure that once you erase it you can no longer track it.

3. AaronM5670, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

As someone who has just had a stolen iPad recovered, I will be watching this thread with interest, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! I also lost an iPhone and had the embarrassing task of someone recovering it and me having to go round to their house (thanks to Find My iPhone), offering a bottle of wine as a reward! :D

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This. Once the iPad is erased, that's it. No more tracking, so the chance of recovery is probably slim to none at the point, sorry to say.

5. rouxeny thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I'm less concerned about the ipad and more concerned about the info on it, so I choose to erase it.

The problem is that unless the ipad is turned back on AND reconnects with a cellular or wifi signal, it won't actually get the erase command. So far, that hasn't happened.

So, if the "new owners" were to turn the ipad on somewhere with no cell signal, which is pretty common here, they could try to crack it all they want. Assuming of course they don't pass the 10 attempt limit.

I also want to stop my cellular contract on that ipad and eventually change it over to a new ipad, but if I do that, then I assume it will never get the erase command, even if it's turned on.

I'm presuming they've junked it somewhere knowing that it's going to be difficult or impossible for them to ever use. At least I hope so.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If it ever connects over wifi, then it would receive the erase command, even if the cellular data has been cancelled.

7. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

I'm more disturbed by the fact that someone broke into your place without you even knowing it.

If the iPad connects to the internet or if the thief connects it to iTunes, the iPad will erase itself.

8. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The OP stated it's possible he/she brought it to work; just doesn't remember.

9. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

.... I don't think anybody would just throw away an iPad.

10. rouxeny thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think it was stolen out of my house. There isn't a lot of foot traffic where I live, my neighbors can see almost all areas of my house pretty easily, there were no signs of forced entry, we have a loud dog that doesn't like strangers, and nothing else was missing.

I just don't remember taking it anywhere, but I suppose if I did, it wouldn't be missing.

If they haven't thrown it away, what else would somebody do with an iPad that doesn't work and can't be used and could possibly be tracked? Maybe sell it for parts?

11. 960design macrumors 68020

Practically impossible. After the first 5 attempts an iPad will begin tarpitting the guesses; something like wait 5 minutes for guess #6, 15 for guess #7, 30min for #8, an hour for #9 and after #10 it will disable itself. The only way to recover it at that point is to put it in recovery mode and if you had it activation locked, to put in the email account and password.

You have removed your ability to track it and the ability for the thief to ever use the device, IF it had activation lock turned on.

1) Remove the old iPad from iCloud.com
    2) Purchase a new iPad, login in with your old account.

Professional thieves would have already moved it into a 'safe' WiFi / Cellular free area and noticed that your device has activation lock enabled. They would then strip it for parts and sell them individually on eBay. Digitizer will get them $10, LCD $40, ect

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I hate to see iPhone and iPad stolen in the house, car, school, everywhere! :apple:

13. sophiamendezzz1 macrumors regular

They really should upgrade "lost mode" taking a picture or forcing it on as long as possible REALLY would make a huge difference. My ex boyfriend had a lenovo laptop and every time someone entered the wrong password in it would take a picture of the person through webcam and my ex was able to know who tried to get on his laptop. It was usually me though ;) haha

14. 960design macrumors 68020

Been using Prey for years.
    preyproject.com to learn more about them. Amazing stuff, funny recovery stories.

Haven't had my computer stolen yet, but looking forward to it. I'll send emails to the thief's mom and employer using the thief's email accounts.... unkind emails, speaking in the thief's voice. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and even watch them pay some bills, check their bank... oh my what I could do with that. I'd get their car towed... so many fun things to do.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Please keep us posted if anything additional happens.

Sorry for your loss.:(

16. rouxeny thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing new to report. The police called for an update and I had nothing to tell them. The iPad hasn't been turned on since.

I'm sure it's been stripped.

I did go out and buy a new iPad Air though. That means the old iPad doesn't have a cellular account anymore, which kind of bums me out because it's unlikely to get the signal to erase itself, although I don't think that will matter much.

Damn thieves, that was a good iPad. 64 gb even.

I'll update if anything happens, but I don't expect much news.

17. rajpatel macrumors regular

First version with retina display and 4g

Round here, us geeks just call it the 3