iPad, mobileme and workflow.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tlinford, Mar 6, 2011.

1. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

Hi,

I am considering getting an iPad2 for working at University and for Church (ministry) plcaements, I have been using an iPhone 4 for the last few months to get a hang of iOS. Being a MacBook owner and mobileme user I am wondering about local storage solutions on an iPad.

I have my MacBook set-up so that it works of a local copy of my Mobileme files for when I am not connected to the internet.. which works great (I can keep on working when no WiFi is in site)....

Q: Is there a way to setup (with in Mobileme, or third part app) an iPad to work from a local store of files that normally reside in the cloud?

any ideas?
    :confused:

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Generally thats more of a function of the particular apps you'll use and whether they can access your iDisk, not so much a function of the ipad itself.

With that said, there is Apple's iDisk application that allows you to view the contents of your MobleMe file store; but it does not specifically sync that store to the ipad and just retains a (settable) amount of recent files (50MB to 500MB).

Perhaps if you provide a more detailed description of exactly what it is you're doing then more specific suggestions/comments can be made.

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I suggest you take a look at Evernote, that has a PC, Mac and excellent iPad App that lets you create text files and store PDF and other types of files and syncs then to the cloud.

http://www.evernote.com

Also worth looking it is Dropbox, another cloud based service that lets you sync files between the cloud, iPad and Mac/PC. However Dropbox is a cloud storage service, you will need to look at Apps that allow you to load and save files to from Dropbox on the iPad.

http://www.dropbox.com

Also Pages and other iWork Apps let you sync files with Mobile me

4. NDChemist macrumors newbie

Try Goodreader App

I use a PC at work I have been using my iPad for 3 months and have eliminated my printing of paper (mtg agendas, presentations, notes, etc.) by >90%. I use Goodreader and my iDisk to get files to and from my iPad. It works great! Before a meeting, I upload to my iDisk the files I need, then I download them to the iPad via Goodreader. Then if I don't have a WiFi connection, I am using the most recent version. If I edit anything in Pages or Numbers, i just upload again to iDisk so the latest is there. No real syncing (brainless syncing) other than manual, but Goodreader is great. Try it out because it also opens every file type you can think of!!

5. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Readdledocs (and Goodreader I think?) both have the ability to synchronize a Mobile Me or Dropbox folder (or other cloud storage) to the locally stored documents folder. So I have a work folder set up in Dropbox, and when I make changes to a file in my Dropbox folder, I press the 'sync' button in Readdledocs and any changes get synced to the native Readdledocs documents folder. Therefore whenever I don't have wifi access, I can still get to all my work files. Will work in the same way with Mobile Me.

6. tlinford thread starter macrumors regular

tlinford

thanks for this, this seems like a good solution to me! had a quick go with the iPhone, this makes the idea of the iPad more convincing now....

7. tlinford thread starter macrumors regular

tlinford

Thanks for the tip.