iPad + MobileMe

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redboxcar, Jan 27, 2010.

1. redboxcar macrumors 6502

redboxcar

MobileMe capabilities seem to be an obvious feature, right?

It wasn't mentioned, but I do kinda like the Calendar feature on the iPad, but obviously only if it synced with my MobileMe (for us MobileMe users).

Thoughts?

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I'd really like to know how the new iWork apps share their files with a desktop.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. hypomnema macrumors newbie

I am sure it will sync like the iphone, but I also think this was a missed opportunity. They could have dedicated a few minutes to emphasizes the mobileme capabilities. iWork files syncing wirelessly via iDisk seems like a no brainer. Why not at least bring that up?

The more devices exist, the more potential there is for mobileme. I hope they develop mobileme more with significant updates soon.

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I was wondering about that too. I would HOPE that there would be great synchronicity between the iPad, MobileMe and one's other Apple devices (computers, iPhone, etc.).

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

On the Macrumors front page:

File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.

So at least file transfer will be possible without MobileMe.

7. redboxcar thread starter macrumors 6502

redboxcar

I agree, with the emphasis on iWork, it'd be a perfect plug to show MobileMe's capabilities. The ability to sync to AND from the iPad to my iDisk would be a big, big plus. That way, I wouldn't have to use internal storage for my documents and what not.

Right, it's possible without MobileMe, but since MM is their own subscription service with these really awesome syncing capabilities and the ability to keep all of our Apple devices in sync, that's the real "INTEGRATION" that Apple boasts about.

8. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

They need to reduce the price of MobileMe and then really push it's features. Although that could possibly start a real war with Google.....

9. redboxcar thread starter macrumors 6502

redboxcar

Agreed. I love my MobileMe, but I didn't pay $99 retail for it. I don't think I ever would.

The features are nice and the INTEGRATION (again, that one word Apple emphasizes) is REALLY nice for those of us who have a bunch of Apple products.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This would be a serious letdown if Apple didn't integrate the iPad with MobileMe.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

MobileMe announcements are going to be another time - just like OS 4.0 announcements. It's more likely at Tablet launch in March

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mobileme is the red-headed step-child in apple's family. Always neglected, the Ipad would be a perfect fit for some cloud computing functionality.

13. bniu macrumors 6502a

you can easily go on amazon and buy a few mobile me subscriptions for $70 each and enter all the codes and get quite a few years of mobile me service already paid for...gotta love amazon!

14. WLS macrumors 65816

I checked that out as I did not know you could get a discount on the service. Still though the only compelling feature is the "find my phone" and that would be nice to have but I would only pay $50 a year for it. Now if there were some more discounts one could stack that might do it for me
    Thanks

15. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Check amazon for cheaper prices. I got mine there for $50

16. WLS macrumors 65816

Do you have a link? I believe it is currently $70 unless you are throwing in a 20-30 buck merchandise credit for taking out another credit card. I don't need to have another credit card pushed on me. :eek:
    Thanks

17. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I also think MobileMe should defeinitely be supported by the ipad. I'm very surprised that Apple hasn't said anything about it up to this point. Even in terms of file syncing, they stated on their website that iWork will sync with iWork.com, but not whether iWork will sync with MobileMe, which seems like it should be a given. It would be very nice to have all your iWork files stored remotely on MobileMe and you could access them from your mac, iphone, ipod touch, or ipad.

I'm hoping they will either announce support at launch or maybe wait until the summer and announce some sort of expanded MobileMe/Cloud Computing experience that syncs with a new OS 4.0.

18. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Well I've taken it as a given that it will be a mm client though in fairness you guys are right - it's not explicitly been said anywhere that I can see.

It better be, or my plan to use my iPad as my primary computer may go out the window!

Frankly I cannot imagine that it wouldn't be... In fact I think the likelier prospect is that mm is revamped, perhaps along with iOS 4, to integrate in a much fuller/richer manner, including robust file storage/syncing in the cloud.

19. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

20. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Nice find, I guess all of us just missed that. One interesting omission though is no talk of syncing with iDisk. Yet I know there is an iDisk app for the iPhone and I'm assuming you could download that and use it on the iPad, BUT you'd think with the iWork apps, Apple would make it easy to sync directly from an iWork program to iDisk.

21. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Most excellent find. That makes me feel MUCH better. When it hadn't been mentioned, it made me a bit nervous about MM and the iPad.

22. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Read somewhere there'll be a separate tab in iTunes for syncing docs to iWork, but iDontknow

23. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

This is my thinking exactly. Fingers crossed...

24. redboxcar thread starter macrumors 6502

redboxcar

The thing about the iDisk app is that you can't sync from the mobile device. What I mean is - I have Pages documents on my Mac mini and I can drop 'em into my iDisk, to which I can read them on my iPhone.

However, I can't save a document from my email on my iPhone and upload it to my iDisk from my iPhone.

If they make it so that you can both to the iPad AND from the iPad (and iPhone/mobile device), then that'll be money for me. :D