iPad more popular than the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jb007clone, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the iPad overtaking the iPhone in worldwide popularity. Will it ever happen? Will there ever be a point where more people own an iPad than an iPhone? I don't know the statistics on the iPhone, is that even possible??

For some reason I can see more people willing to get an iPad than would be willing to switch over their phone service at this point. It's kind of like, if you haven't gotten an iPhone yet, you're pretty much unlikely to be converted. Where as I believe the iPad continues to convert people into potential buyers.

I've been trying to keep track of the # of people viewing the iPad forum versus the iPhone forum here (not scientific by any means obviously) and the difference in figures isn't that far off.

Would do you guys think? Can the iPad overtake the iPhone? Is it possible? Probably? An eventuality?

Note: I have no personal bias one way or the other.

2. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Based on the assumption that the iPad will one day replace the pc, I think it definitely has the ability to overtake the iPhone in popularity. As of today, it isn't more popular than the iPhone though. I think the demand for iPhone 5 will exceed the demand for iPad 2.

3. comper macrumors member

I vote no.

A) The price of the iPhone is only $200 with a contract. You can get the 3GS for $50 now as well. The cheapest iPad (new) is still $350 for the older, lowest end model.

B) The ratio of people that own a cell phone compared to tablets. This goes along with the "need" of either device. The tablet is still a luxury device. While that may change in a couple of years as they become more powerful and able to replace a notebook, the ratio of cell phones:tablets will still be pretty high, in my opinion.

I guess we'll see as time goes on. In the foreseeable future, however, I'd say the iPhone will stay more popular than the iPad.

4. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

I agree. Although I was shocked at the demand for the iPad 2. Have there been any figures released on the amount sold? Up from last year?

I think eventually you'll see fully subsidized iPads like iPhones. There are already subsidized Android tabs. I agree for the foreseeable future the iPhone will be more popular, but if iPads do get cheaper (subsidized) and more powerful, you may see a dramatic shift to people using low-cost 'dumb phones' and tabs for everything else. Just a theory.

5. hoofbite macrumors member

Yes, the iPad will become more popular. Why? As we know, with the iPhone you must be on either Verizon or AT&T to get/use it (in the US at least). Many people already have contracts with other carriers and are not willing to break their contract just yet. OR some people simply don't want to get a data phone and pay for data packages as they'd prefer to keep their phone simply for calling and texting.

With that said, the iPad is available for anyone to buy and there is no long term contract to lock you in or prevent you from buying. Regardless of what people say, it is a big iPhone (although a different experience). For those whom don't want or cannot get a iPhone, an iPad is a brilliant substitute to an iPhone.

If the iPad doesn't become more popular than the iPhone, it will become as popular.

6. X2468 macrumors regular

It's irrelevant.

They're two completely different products.

Absolutely no reason to compare.

7. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

I think the 'no contract' aspect is a big factor for a lot people. I would wager that it's a big part why the iPod Touch is still around. Sure you can get an iPhone for cheaper subsidized, but some people just don't want to deal with At&t and/or Verizon period. If Apple discontinued the Touch, I wonder how many of those users would become wifi iPad users?

Apple really needs to work on the price of the iPad though. Just like the rumours of a cheaper, prepaid iPhone keep cropping up, I think a cheaper iPad would do wonders as well.

Solid plastic instead of metal, 7" screen. Hit $299 and aim for the Kindle's jugular!

8. comper macrumors member

Don't mean to be rude but that isn't a great argument. An iPad in no way replaces or substitutes for an iPhone, or any phone for that matter.

9. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

It's not a comparison of specs, uses, etc. per se, but a simple question of will device A ever become more popular than device B?

That's all.

10. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I don't. If Apple follows past performance, the iP5 will be a modest upgrade over the iP4. Right now it is looking like it might only be a slightly larger screen and maybe a duo core CPU and near field technology. Big fat hairy deal IMO (unless you don't own an iP4, that is). The iP6 is where the next big iPhone rush will be, IMO. Tablets, on the other hand, are starting to reach critical mass and for the next year or so will be at least on par with the iPhone, but probably not exceeding them due to the greater utility of the phone.:)

Fun topic OP.

11. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

FWIW For some people, email is now the primary mode of communication. Voice calling is becoming less relevant.

12. comper macrumors member

That may be true, but a lot of his argument was based on the inability for one to obtain an iPhone for whatever reason. However, saying it is a substitute for the experience isn't quite true as the iPhone is still a phone while the iPad is not. Due to that point, he may as well be talking about any consumer in general that is in the market for the iPad which makes the whole phone/contract point not really worth mentioning.

Edit: However, if his point would have been left at the potential market for the iPad is bigger than the iPhone, then I wholeheartedly agree, but potential is the key word.

13. hoofbite macrumors member

It's gonna be hard to lower the price of the iPad at it's current state. I think your right in that a smaller iPad would be the way to lower the price point.

The iPhone is around $700 without a contract, and that's about the average price of an iPad. So the price won't be going lower unless they create a smaller version that uses less parts to minimize the cost. A smaller iPad would put a dent in the revenue of Kindle and other smaller eReader/tablets out there.

Your edit is correct.

14. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Thanks DynaFXD! Interesting theory. I wonder if Apple would ever consider merging the iPhone and iPad lines? That is to say, making an iPad that can place calls and has all of the iPhone's functionality. Sort of an iPhone 'Pro' or 'HD' model. I know a lot people don't like the Dell Streak's size, but imagine if Apple designed a bluetooth handset for the device that was wafer thin?? You use that when convenient, and then the larger device when you're home and lounging.

15. danielveeee macrumors regular

iPhone always gets the new features, then iPod and iPad follow suit.
    For this reason alone iPhone will always be most popular.
    And a phone is a must have unlike a tablet

16. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

True, although I am suggesting that eventually to lower costs there may be a contract, post-paid iPad that could be somewhat subsidized. $100 iPad maybe (2 year contract + data plan).

A smaller iPad just seems like an eventuality at this point. Although Jobs has stated, 7" is dead in the water or whatever, I bet they're salivating at the chance to become competitive at the Kindle's lower price point. It's subsidize or smaller and/or cheaper materials. Personally, I think they'll do a 7" iPad (or 7" iPod Touch) six of a dozen...

17. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Apple has sold 100,000,000 iPhones and 15,000,000 iPads as of the iPad 2 announcement. It will take some time before iPads catch up to iPhones. Still, I remember when apple was struggling to sell 1,000,000 computers per quarter so talking tens and hundred of millions of anything apple is weird. :)

18. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Not necessarily true. iPad 2 is the first device with the A5 chip. iPhone 5 will then get it, followed by the iPod Touch.

19. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

It was also the first apple product with the A4 chip last year. :)

20. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Thanks for the stats! Looks like it'll definitely be a little while before the iPad catches up, but it seems every year and every launch Apple sells more in a shorter amount of time. So maybe not that long...

It's crazy to think about how influential the iPod is. Hard to fathom really.

21. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

Just from personal experience, I know many people with iPhones, only a few with iPads.

22. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Me too. I'm the only one out of my family, friends that has one... but, everyone who has seen it so far has been enamored with it. I think it was Stephen Fry who said that (paraphrasing) 'you really have to hold one in your hands and use it to appreciate it' and I believe he's right. The price is what's keeping a lot of people away at this point I think. Remember when the iPhone originally dropped? :eek:

23. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

A cell phone is a must. A smart phone isn't a must for everyone.

I'd kind of like one, but just still haven't been able to stomach the crazy cost of the cell phone data plans when I spend so much of my time at my office and at home around PCs anyway.

Nice to have one for traveling for sure, but not worth $15-30 a month for data to only use a handful of times a year.

So I got a wifi iPad to enjoy the apps and use as a web surfing device etc.