IPad Mouse Support CAN Highlight Text with Copy and Paste!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by soulreaver99, Jun 4, 2019.

1. soulreaver99 macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

Text selection and highlighting text with cut and paste actually works on iOS13 using a mouse! You just have to hold down the left click for a few seconds (simulating a long press) and you can select your text! Still kind clunky but it works!

I’ve had my iPad Pro connected to a USB-C AV adaptor hooked up to my large display and have been using it like a desktop. Hopefully they refine this even further!

2. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Welcome to 2012 where you can simply buy a USB OTG cable and do the same.

This has been long overdue... And guess what, this has been dismissed as gimmicks and not needed by Apple fans. Because supposedly iPad works different and users has to suck up with this.

Still nice to see Apple finally playing catching up. Way to go Apple!

3. Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

nice, thanks for the demo! Do you use Microsoft Remote Desktop? I'm curious how it handles the external monitor + external mouse setup.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2019 ---
    also, what mouse are you using. presumably not USB since you have your monitor hooked up to HDMI adapter?

4. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

[​IMG]

Here’s my iPad setup. Unfortunately doesn’t take advantage of my 2560x1440 display but it does work.

5. Hym tix, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

huh, I guess the odd resolution makes sense if you are just using iOS screen mirroring.

But you would think that the external display would allow apps to send 16:9 4K resolution to the display (or 2560x1440 in your case)

anyway, great to see your setup working

6. Mainsail macrumors 65816

I will have to use it in real life to determine if the mouse is better than the new touch based text selection and gestures that iPadOS will offer. It seems like Apple put a lot of time into optimizing touch to improve productivity on the iPad. Clearly, they continue to see the iPad as a touch first device. The mouse support seems a bit half baked at this time.....perhaps, Apple has a surprise in store for us this fall with the public release of iPadOS.......a proprietary iPad trackpad for instance?

7. seadragon Contributor

I’m chuckling thinking of those on this forum who said a mouse could never work with iOS. They’ve gone silent as expected.

8. tps3443, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

2560x1440 is not a odd resolution. It’s just quad HD. Exactly (4) 1280x720 panels all in one.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2019 ---
    This is awesome! Finally a external monitor is useable with a mouse!!!

Or if we have our iPads hooked up to our large wall mounted TV’s for viewing movies. We can just use the mouse.

I don’t care what anyone says! This is awesome! And it is just the early stages of iPads with mouse support. You gotta start some where!

9. Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

2560x1440 is great; the odd thing (sorry I wasn't clear) is seeing that iPadOS does not output a 16:9 resolution to the 2560x1440 display. It must be that the OP was screen mirroring rather than using an app that supports 16:9 video output to a secondary display.

10. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Perfect demo!

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

12. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Yes, the smug attitude and snide, condescending comments that a few constantly spewed every time it was brought up was bad.

13. RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

Or with a Bluetooth mouse (without Citrix)?

14. seadragon Contributor

Yes, it was ridiculous. Smug and snide is right. Now where did they go?

Oh... I recall you were quite, I’ll politely just say “vocal”, against mouse support in another thread. And now?

15. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Lol this is so foreign to me - never seen a mouse used on an iPad.

I’ll be testing this out for sure.

16. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

Many review videos on youtube for bluetooth mice, they work
    Even Apple Magic Mouse works, but year I also wonder about the Magic Trackpad