iPad movie app that's better than "Photos"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cameronjpu, Aug 10, 2012.

1. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Planning a trip and trying to fill my iPad with native format movies for entertainment. In the past I have played these with the Photos app, which works fine, but really is pretty limited. It doesn't give you a progress bar and doesn't resume playing at the same spot. I downloaded Azul, but its problem is that is has to import the video first, doubling the size... maybe I could delete from the Photos album, but I'd rather just have an App that can access and play videos from the photo albums without a hitch. Anyone have a good one?

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

why would u play movies with the "Photos" app? o_O theres the Video.app for that ...

3. cameronjpu, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Far as I can tell the video app only plays videos that I've bought. I open it and it's empty even though I have multiple videos on the iPad. Maybe it's just where things classified as videos by iTunes go?

I get videos onto the ipad wirelessly, maybe that's the problem. I will be filling up multiple ipads for different people for this trip, so I can't plug them into iTunes to sync. I used Photo Sync to get the videos onto the iPad. Do you have an app or method that lets me get movies into the Videos app?

There must be a way to get videos onto the iPad into the Videos app wirelessly... right?

4. cameronjpu, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

Any suggestions?

FYI, the best solution I've found so far is an app called PlayerXtreme, which is a free app and accompanying PC/Mac app for transferring files. It does at least give you a progress slider which the Photos app does not, and fills my need for putting videos on multiple devices without having to plug them into the computer.

5. LeeM macrumors 6502a

6. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Does flexplayer do all those things? Transferring video to the player over wifi and handling playing it smoothly?

7. LeeM macrumors 6502a

not sure about wifi i havent tried, but playback is extremely smooth

8. Anti-Lucifer, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

Why not just drag and drop the .m4v/.mp4/.mov movies into your device? Just use itunes, make sure MANUALLY MANAGE VIDEOS is checked and just drag and drop the files into your idevice and it's played via the video player (subtitles, multi audio all work fine if your files have those options).

I see you don't want to use a computer - but where are these videos stored anyway? If they are on your computer, you might as well just plug in your ipad and simply drag and drop. This doesnt require you to attach a idevice and associate it with itunes on that computer.

the best part of having it stored in the videos app is that you get all the metadata, all the nice artwork, etc. And the fact it has native video acceleration thus really does not use up your battery life at all. Nearly all of the video players on line (good player, oplayer HD, ace player, etc) - they have an option to use the apple video plugin to play the mp4 files so you can save alot on battery life otherwise you resort to ffmpeg which will drain your battery life significantly if you are playing h264 encoded videos. I simply just transfer the videos using my computer since it's all store on the external drive anyway.

9. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

I didn't know you could transfer them using iTunes without wiping the data (since they are synced with different iTunes libraries). It's been a while since I've tried doing these sorts of things and it just seems like anytime you plug an iDevice into an iTunes computer that is not its home computer, it screws something up. I suppose I can give it a try.... thanks!

10. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

The reason I am responding is because I too was so frustrated with the way the iTunes synching was. I did not want to sync my personal ipad to my laptop nor my wife's 4S but couldn't figure out how to transfer something so basic like videos. I thought to myself apple can't be that dumb to restrict this...I so spent an hour looking up apps to do this sort of thing and none worked with iOS 5.1.1 nor iOS 6beta4. At the end, I gave up then I saw the manually manage videos checkbox and remembered back in ios4 days I use to do this...voila, easy as eating cake.

Now I transfer all my books, audiobooks, tv shows, and movies all with metadata and artwork. No need to sync anything nor wipe existing sync. It will complain about you have synced with another library just ignore it it doesn't wipe anything out. I gave movies to my sisters ipad and my friends ipad as well. It's awesome to be able to transfer these movies on a road trip and so forth.

Give it a shot and it will work 100%!

11. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

That's great, so glad you found this thread. Thanks!

12. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Just realized, the computer is synced with a PC and the movies will potentially be on a Mac. I feel like I remember in the past iPods needing to be wiped when they are switched from PC to mac. Can a Mac see and copy movies as suggested above when the iPad was synced to a PC previously?

13. cameronjpu, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

Just to follow up - I just got around to doing this, and it doesn't work.

I get the movies into iTunes and tell the iPad to manually sync movies and music. The movies never go onto the iPad. They show up grayed out in the movies section of the iPad contents, with a sync icon next to them. Hitting sync does not cause them to go over. So I go into the movies section of the iPad config in iTunes and check the box that says to sync movies. At that point it says the iPad has been synced with another library and do I want to wipe it. I say OK and again, nothing happens. I've tried using AirVideo encoded videos and handbrake as well. No dice.

So... back to the drawing board. I need to be able to get movies onto the iPad Videos app from computers other than the one that holds its library. Far as I can tell, that's not possible.

Anyone?

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Never tried this, but don't imagine it'd be an issue. As long as the videos are in an iPad friendly format, it shouldn't matter whether you're transferring from a Mac or PC.

15. Menneisyys2, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012

Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Personally, I'd stay away from it. There are a lot of much better players like It's Playing, AVPlayerHD and GoodPlayer.

16. cameronjpu, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012

Just downloaded AVPlayerHD. I do like the FTP transfer option - if I can get that to work (coupled with local wifi transfer option), my problems should be solved.

That's been the real kicker for me - I need to be able to get movies onto my iPad while I am traveling that are sitting on my computer back home. I can encode them via remote access to that home computer and even upload them to an FTP site, but I do need to be able to then reliably get them on to the iPad. I wish one of these players would integrate Dropbox for adding files. That would be the most convenient! Then I could output encoded files directly to a dropbox folder using Air Video and just leave the iPad on wifi over night to add multiple files. So easy!