iPad Movies

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RevolvingSheep, Mar 10, 2012.

1. RevolvingSheep macrumors regular

A few questions about watching movies on the new iPad...

I looked on iTunes for Donnie Darko and it was available. It didn't say what resolution the movie was in but it did say it was also available for the iPad and Apple TV. When you buy a movie on iTunes, and download it to one of your devices, does it scale it to the device... or do you chose which resolution you want to purchase the movie at?

Also, I have tons of digital copies that have come with movies... I have a stack of them. Will they all convert to iTunes or are there only certain ones that are compatible with iTunes?

Thanks.

2. sartios macrumors member

Not sure about the iTunes dilemma, but I personally use Air Video to stream all my HD movies .mkvs from my iMac to my devices, it allows me to set resolution etc as well.

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

You buy the movie at the resolution you want. Apple charges more for HD movies than lower-res movies. If you get the HD movie, it will sync to your device at whatever resolution your device can handle - an iPad will get the full HD movie, a non-retina iPhone/iPod Touch will get a lower-resolution version. Then whatever movie it downloaded to device will get scaled to your device's native resolution. Note that not all movies are available in HD on iTunes, I own Pixar's Up in HD, but when I bought the Lord of the Rings trilogy they were only in DVD quality.

For digital copies, most of them work with iTunes, but I think there are some that don't.

4. Anlino macrumors member

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It will say if it is available in HD. A quick look shows that Donnie Darko is not.

6. RevolvingSheep thread starter macrumors regular

That's too bad because you can buy it on Blu-Ray... so shouldn't it be available in HD on iTunes?

Edit: Actually it says "Also available in HD on iPad and Apple TV.

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I have no idea what the 'also available in HD on iPad' text means, but generally it would say if the movie is available for purchase in HD. And the file size and price would be a lot higher.

But that it's on Blu-ray doesn't mean it would be in HD on iTunes.

8. RevolvingSheep thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... yeah, other movies say "buy HD" if HD is available. I wonder if you have to buy the movie through the Apple TV or iPad to get the HD version. That doesn't make sense though.

I also noticed that many HD movies are more expensive than the movie brand new on Blu-Ray.

9. RevolvingSheep thread starter macrumors regular

10. RevolvingSheep thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently "also available in HD on iPad and Apple TV" means that you can only buy it in HD on one of those devices. I think I understand that if you buy a movie this way, you will not be able to view it on anything but the device you order it on.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's interesting. But usually, the easiest way to tell if a movie is available in HD, it will tell you when you go to buy it. Will list HD and non-HD prices, then the same with the file sizes.

Prices are higher than buying a Blu-ray, but we will have to live with that I guess.

12. RevolvingSheep thread starter macrumors regular

Yes... higher than Blu-Ray... and I assume the Apple TV won't output HD audio?