Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEUengineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
I use iSkysoft to convert my dvd collection into mp4's to put into iTunes and then on my iPad. The problem is that I cannot seem to find the proper format size to correctly display the entire picture. Even with the iPad settings in the program, the edges of the image are cut off. Any suggestions?

Andy

NEUengineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Yes, but what width and height do you set for the mp4 files? My problem is that i cannot seem to match the same picture i see on my computer if i just play the dvd. I am losing some of the width somehow.

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
I'd also like to recommend Handbrake, it's free and all you do is open the movie, click on the Apple TV setting and start, out come iPad itunes friendly files. Too Easy.

You're just going to get a whole bunch of people here not answering your question because there's probably nobody here who uses iSkysoft. Pretty much everyone uses Handbrake because it's free open source and generally freakin' awesome.

I'd also recommend Subler as well, open the m4v files in Subler it adds the meta data from tagchimp to the movie files before you drag them to itunes. It'll save you filling in all the actors and stuff yourself.

NEUengineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
You can choose the dimensions in Handbrake too. I guess what you guys are all saying is that you use whatever the default setting is for the Apple TV selection. I'll give it a try.

On a side note, this setting had a default bitrate of 2500 kbps. iSkysoft can make movies with 8000kbps. There is a big difference in picture quality between the two.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
There's a normal and high quality setting you can use as well. The files are a lot bigger though. I use the Universal setting on Handbrake for my movies because they are played on iPhone, iPod Touch, Apple TV, and iPad. You can use the higher quality settings if you so choose.

klnorth

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
Converting with DVD Menu

Does anyone know of a way to convert the entire DVD including the Menu system. Then be able to play back from the menu system like you would a normal DVD?

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
Forget all that.

Mp4s play directly in Oplayer HD. (it also provides the option to play using the inbuilt quicktime plugin)

NEUengineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Update

By experimentation, I have figured out that the best format to play a movie on the iPad is 720x576. This is at least true for using iSkySoft to convert full DVD's into mp4's. It is of course possible that other converters work differently, so this is not something to assume for all programs.

720x576 is a 1.25:1 ratio. Any radio larger than that, 1.333:1, 1.5:1, 1.777:1, will result in a significant loss of picture on the edges of the screen. Handbreak's default format is 720x480 which is a 1.5:1 ratio. You will lose a significant portion of the image width. If you compare image displayed on your computer monitor to what your iPad shows, you will see what i mean.

640x480 is a 1.333:1 ratio. The loss of image there is not very significant, and i know that is an option in Handbreak. so if you really care to see more of the picture i would suggest using that setting.

Andy

doodude

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
Im using "Im Too iPad Video Converter" & while it isnt free it does a great job automatically.

The details straight from the converted files are:

iPad H.264 video (*.mp4)

Video
L & W: 720 x 576
Data Rate: 2021 kbps
Total bitrate: 2149
Frame rate: 29 Fps

Audio
Bit Rate: 127 kbps
Sample: 44 kHz

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Hi if i purchase the "Im Too iPad Video Converter" can i add sub in the conversion?

brasierlly

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Handbrake works great, why do you want to pay for imtoo?
Handbrake doesn't have iPad profile yet. you can output to MPEG4 video, as iPad can read it. I use handbrake with the appleTV preset and have no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.