iPad multiuser login

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nesschurch, Jan 26, 2012.

1. nesschurch macrumors newbie

Trying to find an iPad app that lets me take advantage of Lion's multiuser login. Anyone any ideas?

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You want to set up multiple user profiles?

Not possible.

3. nesschurch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the super quick reply but what I want to be able to do is:

log in to my account on the MacBook while my wife is using it with her account, and to do this from my iPad.

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

5. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

That you can do. You need a remote desktop (VNC for OSX, RDP for Windows) type of app. Unfortunately, most of those cost money, often $15 and up.

I have and use Desktop Connect, although I find it only mediocre. I haven't personally tried any others since I really don't require that functionality too often, not enough to warrant buying potential duds.

Based on reviews I've read online covering many remote desktop apps, the next one I intend to try is Jump Desktop, but I'm waiting for it to go on sale (currently $15, but their price history shows they've dropped it in the past).

I've seen a lot of people that say they like LogMeIn, and it's free, but it requires setting up an account with them to use it. However, it doesn't seem right to me that I'd need to create an account on some service just for my iPad and Mac to talk locally on wifi.

I've also been intrigued by Screens, but reviews hint that it might not be quite as bug-free as it should be.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

No....I don't think even with a VNC/RDP iPad app you'd be able to do what the OP wants....he wants multiple simultaneous users logged into one Mac - one local and one remote.

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Do you need GUI or is shell enough ? If the last one just get something like iSSH and connect with your credentials.

8. redscull, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I have a Mac mini running Lion (not even server). I have an iPad running a VNC app. I can be actively logged in with two users, one showing on the mini's physical monitor, controlled by its keyboard/mouse. And the other's desktop showing on the iPad screen, controlled by the iPad. I'm not speculating. I run this setup.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

10. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

there was an app I'll come back when i find it however it after a login it wouldn't restart correctly. Some of my apps would be removed or unresponsive :(. I wouldnt reccomend.

11. Username02 macrumors regular

I use iTeleport to do this on my server/htpc from iPad/iPhone. I can get to my desktop by logging in with my Mac's credentials whether or not someone else is logged in. iTeleport is solid. Features multi display support as well.