iPad must charge switched on?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sparkie1984, Aug 18, 2010.

1. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

Why on earth can't my. iPad stay switched off when it's charging?????

I've switched it off but it just turns back on.

It's not the end of the world but I thought it'd charge faster if it would just stay off!!!!!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Are you trying to shut it off completely, or just putting it to sleep?

I have no problems with sleeping my iPad while it's charging. Haven't tried to shut it off while charging, there's just no need to.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The iPad wasn't designed to be turned off at the. End of every day. That's why the standby time is like a month. Heck, i don't turn off my MBP either, I just leave it in sleep because its easier that way.

4. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

5. mamema macrumors regular

Where's the problem?
    Connect ipad to power cable BEFORE you switch the beast off. Then switch it off and it remains off. Loads faster then......
    Works here!

6. xraytech macrumors 68020

What is your reasoning for powering down your iPad?

I never power down my iPad, there's no need to unless I have to reboot.

7. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

Was just curiosity guys.....

Mine will not stay off!!!!! If I connect before or after it will turn off ten come straight back to the apple logo screen then turn back in again straight away!

It will not stay off an charge! But it will stay off if not charging. Just thought it weird that's all

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Are you charging from a USB port on a computer? If so, the computer may detect the iPad and turn it on.

9. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

Nope charging via the 10w power brick supplied!
    Surely it'd charge quicker off wouldn't it?????

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just tried it, and you're right, it doesn't stay off even when charging from power adapter. Just shut off the screen and don't worry about it, as Apple in their infinite wisdom (aka who knows why Apple does things their own way) has designed it this way and there's nothing you can do to change it. :D

11. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well. It occurs to me that since there is no charging indicator light, the only way for people to check that the iPad is charging is to look at the battery indicator icon on the screen which they can't see unless the iPad is on. Plus, I'm guessing the iPad doesn't draw much power while in standby, so it doesn't make a significant difference in charging time whether it's completely off or jut in sleep mode.

13. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah would make sense.

Does the iPhone 4 charge while off I wonder

14. jampat macrumors 6502a

It could be using its processor to manage the charging too. It's not likely, but it wouldn't take too many cycles so they could have implemented active charging control.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think any of them do, possibly going all the way back to the original iPod.

16. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I've been able to charge previous iPhones by plugging them into the charger, then turning my phone off. Haven't tried with my iPad since it never gets turned off anyway. :)

17. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've seen this also and thought for a long time that it will only charge when on. However I find if I turn it off while plugged it, it will turn back on 19 times out of 20. But every now and then it will turn completely off even when plugged in. I've seen this behavior on both wifi and 3G iPads. All my iPhones don't behave like this including a new iPhone 4.

18. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

I tested this on my iPad & while it will come on when plugged in the power brick, if I turn it off again it stays off. :confused:

19. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmmm how weird as mine will not stay off! Although i haven't tried it 20 times :DP

20. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

I'm just throwing this out there for consideration.

I have no push, location services etc active on my iPad. Everything is manual.
    Could this have something, anything to do with keeping your iPad awake!?:confused:

21. maskedpillager, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011

maskedpillager macrumors newbie

Did you know that scientists have found Apple fanboys use the same part of their brains when thinking about Apple products as people who are in religious rituals use when thinking about God?

22. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Are the people not able to charge powered off using an iPad 1 or 2? I noticed that my first iPad would always power on while my new iPad 2 can remain powered off while charging.

23. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I think Google fanboys, MS fanboys also use the same part of the brain just as Apple fanboys, the key is "being a fanboy", not "Apple".

24. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

This.
    A quick pressing of the Sleep/wake button will inform you of the status of the charge process. No biggie. :)