iPad mute button doesn't MUTE!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TC400, Jul 23, 2011.

1. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

As the title says when I slide the mute button it doesn't mute it shows the symbol but I can still hear music. SO I then switched it to the orientation lock and that works fine.
    Anyone else have this issue?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think it actually mutes the iPod app, just all the other sounds.

3. shandyman Suspended

That's it, it just mutes other sounds, if you play music, it plays music

4. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

hahaha thanks a bunch! lol.
    I'm still getting used to this thing.

5. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

In iOS 5 it totally mutes everything so it'll make more sense once that comes out.

6. shandyman Suspended

wrong. i have just tried it under beta 4 and with mute on, music still plays.....

7. AceCoolie macrumors regular

This burns me so much. iOS5 didn't fix anything. HELLO Apple! MUTE MEANS NO SOUND! I'm sick of my iPad making noises when it shouldn't. Last Sunday, my kid opened an app in church and it started playing music! GRRRR! In a meeting and want to play a game? Better be careful. I hate having to turn the volume down constantly because I can't trust the mute button to work.

8. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I can understand how, on a phone, it makes sense to have one mute for the ring and another for everything else. But much like the lock screen (I am not going to pocket-dial my iPad, tyvm), it made no sense for them to keep this when moving iOS to the iPad. Especially since there are some apps that use mute when they should use volume and vice-versa, so there's just no rhyme or reason.

9. madmaclove macrumors newbie

sometimes ipads can get confused easily :) but when you turn it off and on, they start to work well again in general.

10. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Aaaaargh! I have to press button that is right next to other button instead of button that I wanted to press so that my Angry Birds theme does not embarrass me in church and business meetings!!

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The mute switch clearly isn't the problem in either case.

If you really must play games in meetings and your kids really needs the iPad in church then invest in a 3.5mm plug (just the plug, no cable). Insert it into the headphone jack.

12. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

This doesnt seem like a reasonable solution at all... A mute button should mute. Where do you get that the mute button isn't the problem?