iPad & NAS Drive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Holymonkey, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Holymonkey macrumors newbie

Hi,

How easy/possible is it to set up a NAS drive which the iPad can access for music files? I was hoping it could be set up to act in the same way the iCloud does with iTunes on the iPad.

2. Federico macrumors member

Which NAS do you have? I have a Qnap and is possible, but it depend if your NAS have the ability to do it.

3. Holymonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a NAS at present - I was holding off from buying one until I knew if such a setup would work!

I'd been advised this (amazon link for a Synology NAS) was a good choice - basically wanting to get a SONOS setup and use an iPad but extend the storage via a NAS device.

4. engineerben macrumors regular

engineerben

I have a Netgear NAS and it works fine. You have to use their application, of course...

Actually, most any player will work with it - I usually use FileBrowser from Stratospherix or just VNC.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Not sure u can do it through the stock music player but u can browse and play files using 3rd party apps.

6. apolkowski macrumors member

Poland, Warsaw and Masurian Lake District
    Synology works pretty well. They have dedicated iOS apps for music, video and photo.

7. Holymonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome - thank you guys - I think that's given me enough to confirm that I can do what I was aiming for & that NAS device I'd seen is probably a good purchase! :-D

8. sparksd macrumors 6502a

For those with a NAS - are you able to use any form of playlists?