ipad navi work without internet access?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spinedoc77, Oct 1, 2010.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I know you have to get the 3g ipad to get the gps, but once you have that can an aftermarket product such as TomTom or Navigon navigate if you don't activate a 3g internet plan?

I'm not asking about the built in navi which requires maps to be downloaded on the fly, but am specifically asking about the programs which preload all the maps onto the ipad. I'm looking at navigation head units and for the price I'm really considering just going with a 3g ipad and leaving it in the car full time.

2. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I've tried copilot on my 3G without a sim card and it seems to work fine

There have been concerns about leaving an iPad in a car though due to it overheating

3. StuartL macrumors member

While (as you say) only the 3G model has GPS, the two features are totally independent of each other. Once you've installed an app that uses pre-loaded maps, switch on your GPS and away you go - 3G not needed.

4. honeytoast macrumors regular

I just went to Yosemite last weekend for the first time with some friends. We used my iPhone 4 with Navigon installed to get us there and it worked great through all the areas without AT&T service. I would assume that it would perform the same on the iPad 3G.

5. Meever macrumors 6502a

I had a trip from central California to north cal and I used the copilot app. It worked amazingly well. 30 dollars well spent. It basically makes your ipad a standalone gps with a gorgeous 10 inch screen, multitouch navigation and integrated media player.

6. myMacRumors macrumors regular

At Sea...

For GPS navigation without internet access, iPad WiFi+3G model (built-in Broadcom GPS chip) works at sea for boaters as long as you've downloaded your charts (Marine Apps).

7. dunk50 macrumors member

I started a thread about the same thing a week ago. In short the answer is yes. I have not activated 3g but did buy TomTom app. Love it. Don't need no stinkin contract! "pun intended" Just load the software and go!;)

8. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Without 3g or wifi, they will be able to give you directions, but they wont be able to follow you. No turn by turn, without wifi or 3g, no way of telling exactly where your at.

9. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

As someone mentioned, the GPS is sepeate from 3G and WiFi, so will function independantly. 3G and WiFi just play a role in faster initial position acquisition, but are not necessary for turn-by-turn navigation.