iPad needs more ram

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maurier, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Maurier macrumors regular

Love my iPad but it needs to be beefed up.
    Souncloud.com cripples my iPad. When I attempt to play a song it will play it then freeze the website, I then close safari and the song is still playing and I have to shut down the ipad to get it to work again.
    To bad cause I need to access souncloud directly from korg ims 20 on the iPad.
    It needs a little more ram and a faster CPU.

2. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Then wait for/ get the 2nd-generation iPad. 512MB + :D

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'm using the same app and not seeing those issues. I've pulled down several sessions from Soundcloud and am playing them on the Korg iMS-20. If you're running iOS 4.2GM, shut down other apps before launching Korg. If not, then when you upgrade to 4.2 maybe you'll see a performance increase.

I'm throwing some heavy stuff at both Rebirth and Korg iMS-20 and not seeing any issues. My device logs don't have low mem warnings related to either.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Mine is doing fine. iPad was launched more than 7 months ago. It is way over mid-product cycle, so wait for update then. But, I am fine with this iPad for at least another 1-2 years.

6. Maurier thread starter macrumors regular

Playing them from korg directly will not lag it's when I access the web site it self not within ims20.
    Try this http://soundcloud.com/tracks
    At first it lagged my PC a bit to lol
    Play one of the tracks then try stopping it or shutting down the website.

Since all ipads are virtually the same specs either there is something wrong with mine , wich i doubt or everyone else should crush on this site.
    I don't think I ever encountered a heavy site like this before =) So much going on that no wonder the ipad crumples. I think a lot has to do with the constant live messaging going on to.

7. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Apple was so desperate to get the iPad on the market (there was so much hype, entirely way too much pressure) that the SoC ended up with tiny RAM and the iPhone got the superior chip, albeit at a lower clock rate.

8. vant macrumors 65816

9. AngelusV macrumors newbie

I really don't understand people like you. You literally open a thread, and contribute absolutely nothing to the topic. This also bumps it to the top of the list, and you did nothing but come off like a complete pompous jerk. Literally you being in the thread is completely pointless for the nonsense you've contributed. Also, don't expect me to read your inevitably over thought response either, because I'll make sure I don't come back to this thread to read it. Save yourself the time, and don't bother lol.

As for the topic, I haven't personally had any problems with the ram so far. I think it also has to do with my constant micromanaging of my open apps. I have this paranoia about my battery, so I tend to close them immediately. In fact, the only apps I keep open constantly is the settings app, and the few things I flip between. It could have something to do with your iPad if others aren't experiencing the same issues. Good luck solving your issue though, and I can't wait for the iPad upgrade next year (Who knows) :).

10. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

I agree the iPad could have used 512mb of ram, but to be honest...my iPad works great! Only issues with ram that i experience is in Safari when I have lots of windows open. my iPads good :)

11. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I could do with more RAM. Get the low memory warning when having a more than 4 tabs open in Atomic Browser

12. ep1cn00bt00b macrumors newbie

When do you predict the next-gen model will be released. I guess either January or April. What is your guess?

13. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Okay... some numbers. (tl;dr version == "big fat web pages with hundreds of tiny graphics are baaaad".)

I pulled up http://soundcloud.com/tracks on my developer workstation here at work and enabled resource tracking. This is a hefty quad-core processor PC with 8gb of RAM. It took 16.80 seconds to load, and 15.63 seconds of that are images. 95% of those images are hundreds of tiny little avatar files that are choking the page out.

Using Chrome with the Developer Tools and enabling resource tracking, that page weighs in at over 2mb. I don't know if you know web development, but any page that's loading 2mb up front like that is gonna lag like a fat pig after Thanksgiving dinner.

The issue is the site's poor design choice in loading hundreds of stupid avatars letting people comment on this or that loop in someone's track. This is an example of a web site that would overload the iPad just because of bad design.

So, I loaded the same URL up in Safari on my iPad over my wifi network. Took about a full minute to load the entire page. That being said, once the entire page loaded (until the blue bar was gone, etc), I had no trouble at all playing any tracks. There was no skipping, missing, etc, and I could even see the silly comments go by as different users commented on the song (I listened to the entire "Come Together (A. Skillz Remix)" that was at the top of the page).

To be fair, I did make sure to shut all other browser windows and apps down to give it as fair of a shot as possible (I'm running iOS 4.2GMa).

You'll find other sites like this one (I believe listed in that other thread about RAM) where the site is just too poorly designed to play nicely on an iPad. That's not necessarily the iPad's fault. Sure, everyone wants more RAM. But for what it does I'm happy so far.

But no wonder Soundcloud sessions play so much better in the Korg iMS-20 app. They don't have to deal with the website itself, heh heh. :D

14. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I was just going to post something very similar to this :)

That Soundcloud page does seem very heavy for what it is. Just changing the comments so that they load on demand would probably fix the performance issues.

I think the larger point is that web designers and programmers (including myself ;)) can't assume that everybody is going to be using fast x86 processors with loads of physical and virtual memory. The rise of the web on mobile devices means that we have to also make sure our code works well on resource constrained devices.

15. Scuby macrumors regular

Byvfar the most common complaint when people talk about how iPad "needs more RAM" is Safari's stupid thing of reloading pages all of the time. But that's not really a memory problem, it's just really badly written.

There is no reason, for example, why the entire safari cache for the 8 tabs which aren't currently in use should be any more than the quantity of data that was downloaded - so for most websites the entire cache could be less than a couple of MB. I've heard people taking about how it needs to store the entire page as a giant bitmap, which is just rubbish - it just needs the code so it can draw the page again, just like when you first visited it. It should be able to do that *without* re-downloading from the original website - which is what causes the problems.

Apart from Safari, i've never experienced any problems that appear to have anything to do with a lack of memory.

David

16. annk, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This thread is temporarily closed for clean-up.

Edit: Open again. Please stay on-topic and keep all posts within the forum rules.

17. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

If the next Gen iPad has more ram, I'll buy it for that reason if no other!

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Can you explain what you mean please about that web site: http://soundcloud.com/tracks

I just clicked on it with my home PC and the whole page was up in about 1 or 2 seconds.

19. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

The time that tekchic quoted was for a fresh load of the whole page including absolutely all the images. If you've visited the page before and have most of the images in your cache already then the page could appear in a second or two. However that is the easiest possible case and the page should be designed so that it works sanely even for visitors with an empty browser cache. You can test this by hitting the "Refresh" button in your browser, what you should see is the little avatar icons under the waveforms gradually loading over the course of 10 or 15 seconds.

20. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Thanks, you beat me to it. :)

You can also press Ctrl-F5 (if you're on a PC) to watch it load in all its painful, avatar image downloading glory. Some small tweaks on that page could yield far better results and not task their servers as hard.