Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcellus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hey guys, I plan on getting the iPad 2 on launch, and one thing I was wondering is if anyone knows if Netflix will be able to use Airplay too? This would be a good reason to jump on the Apple TV

Billydelp4

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
I might find it useful.

Often times I watch a movie or something on the iPad while surfing the web on my mbp. If I get sucked into the movie I generally move into the living room and pull it up on the big screen. It's not a major inconvenience to sht down the netflix app on the iPad and pull it backup on the atv but it would definitely be a lot simpler to just airplay it instantly.

Sometimes Netflix is wonky and won't immediately know what you have been watching in your recently viewed tab. I could definitely see this being of benefit. Not crucial but certainly nice.

Billy

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
They said that they are letting developers use airplay now so I bet it eventually will support airplay but most likely not on launch.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
I might find it useful.

Often times I watch a movie or something on the iPad while surfing the web on my mbp. If I get sucked into the movie I generally move into the living room and pull it up on the big screen. It's not a major inconvenience to sht down the netflix app on the iPad and pull it backup on the atv but it would definitely be a lot simpler to just airplay it instantly.

Sometimes Netflix is wonky and won't immediately know what you have been watching in your recently viewed tab. I could definitely see this being of benefit. Not crucial but certainly nice.

Billy

So why not watch the movie on the apple tv and continue to surf the web on your ipad? Is it more comfortable for you to surf in the living room on your mbp or your ipad? It seems to me that you would be better off not even having a apple tv and just plugging in your ipad via the hdmi cable.

joecatz

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
Netflix has publicly stated that they do not plan on changing their app to stream via airplay b/c they are already built in to apple TV. Makes no sense.

Billydelp4

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
So why not watch the movie on the apple tv and continue to surf the web on your ipad? Is it more comfortable for you to surf in the living room on your mbp or your ipad? It seems to me that you would be better off not even having a apple tv and just plugging in your ipad via the hdmi cable.

airplay allows for you to stream without cables and still do other functions at the same time. so I could stream netflix while browsing the internet at the same time. get it?

but still you missed my point. the thought is that I became immersed in the movie/tv show and want to give it my full attention so it would save me a few extra steps to just be able to airplay it directly rather than powering up netflix and navigating through its not so user friendly tabs.

airplay allows for you to stream without cables and still do other functions at the same time. so I could stream netflix while browsing the internet at the same time.

This is something I was wondering. So when airplay is enabled you can continue to use the iPad for other functions? Does this include putting the screen to sleep while still watching the movie on your ATV?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
This is something I was wondering. So when airplay is enabled you can continue to use the iPad for other functions? Does this include putting the screen to sleep while still watching the movie on your ATV?

Yes, I've done this a lot, and one day I wanted to test the extremes of it. I used my jailbroken iPhone with AirPayEnabler so I could send the TWiT live video stream to my AppleTV. After sending it I decided to restore my iPhone (rejail it) and the video stream still stayed up on the AppleTV during and after the iPhone was restored. So I think in terms of streaming stuff the iPhone/iPad just serves as a way to send it to the AppleTV then the AppleTV is able to keep the stream open by itself.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
To everyone who says it doesn't make sense - Netflix on iPad has subtitles for closed captioning but Apple TV does not.

AirPlay would at least address this gap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.