ipad newbie..advice sought!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mac maniac, Jan 15, 2011.

1. mac maniac macrumors member

Well almost a newbie! I'm thinking of getting one next week to replace my old, battered but much loved macbook! Its on its last legs so needs to be replaced asap!

So I'll come straight to the point, can the ipad do the following:

1- Allow me to work on MS Office (Word, Excel etc)
    2- Play Avi movies and DIVX, MP4 etc (how if there's no USB port?) All my movies are on a external hard drive so how will I access that?
    3- Connect to the internet with my 3 mobile dongle (again how if there's no USB)
    4- Sync with Mail, Address Book, iCal and allow me to upload/download from my Mobile Me account (got important docs stored in the cloud and need to access them from time to time)
    5- Use certain applications like Colour Sync Utility, Simply RAR, VLC, Handbrake, iMovie and Image Capture...basically the day to day stuff I already use on the Macbook.

What else can it do that I haven't mentioned above? Sell it to me as I'm 50/50 on this!

Really haven't a clue here and need some sound advice!

Thanks in advance,
    Dave.

2. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Haha. I think you should just buy a new Mac. I don't think you'd be too happy if you bought an iPad, expecting to use it like that.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The iPad, nore any tablet, can replace your main laptop. It's a complementary device that you need to sync and will do some of the functions you mentioned (like edit word docs in quick office). The iPad can very easily replace your netbook, but definately not your main MacBook. If your looking for the portability, get a MacBook air if you can afford one, those are really nice and is the first Mac that is making me consider the switch from windows.

4. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

1. Not sure but maybe iwork suite.
    2. Jailbreak when Jailbreakme 3.0 is released. Camera connection kit+ iFile
    3 Can't without a 3g iPad
    4 Mobileme iDisk/ dropbox/ mobileme account on ipad
    5. Only one out of those is VLC.

Still, a base white Macbook would be better for you

5. shoelessone macrumors 6502

It sounds like you don't want an iPad.

No question about it.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Definitely do not get an iPad. Sounds like you need a real Mac. iPad is a great complimentary device.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Well almost a newbie! I'm thinking of getting one next week to replace my old, battered but much loved macbook! Its on its last legs so needs to be replaced asap!

So I'll come straight to the point, can the ipad do the following:

1- Allow me to work on MS Office (Word, Excel etc) Only if you install Pages and Numbers
    2- Play Avi movies and DIVX, MP4 etc (how if there's no USB port?) All my movies are on a external hard drive so how will I access that? Yes to AVI and MP4, but not DIVX, and they would have to be uploaded to the iPad using iTunes (you can not plug in your external hard drive)
    3- Connect to the internet with my 3 mobile dongle (again how if there's no USB) Nope, you need to buy the iPad WiFi + 3G model
    4- Sync with Mail, Address Book, iCal and allow me to upload/download from my Mobile Me account (got important docs stored in the cloud and need to access them from time to time) Yes, if you install the iDisk app (free)
    5- Use certain applications like Colour Sync Utility, Simply RAR, VLC, Handbrake, iMovie and Image Capture...basically the day to day stuff I already use on the Macbook. An iPad is not a MacBook Replacement, so no to all of those.

What else can it do that I haven't mentioned above? Sell it to me as I'm 50/50 on this! If you want to be persuaded, go to http://www.apple.com/ipad/, their is no reason anyone here should have to push you over the edge

Really haven't a clue here and need some sound advice!

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

1) If your spreadsheets have company logo and have merged cells, NO. ( Numbers for the iPad does not support cell merge. Other office programs support cell merge (poorly), but not a graphic )
    2) Yep, it plays movies, best way to put them on is to use iTunes. But Drop Box will work depending on the size of your account and the video sizes.
    3) You can get on a wifi network, use a MiFi device, or a 3G iPad. Mine is wifi.
    4) Yes, there is an app for that
    5) IF there is an app for that, but it won't be as powerful as the big boy version.

For most people iPad is a laptop/ desk top SUPPLIMENT, not a replacement. I still use both a desktop and a laptop.

9. mac maniac thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the swift replies! Hmm...need to mull this one over. What I'd really need Is a MacBook air but can't afford it! I was thinking iPad as it's relatively cheap, light and thought it would do most of what I do on the MacBook. I'll get reading up a little more on it! Not giving up just yet! Cheers, Dave.

10. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Check out the base white MacBook

11. SaltSlasher macrumors member

Yeah, the I think the macbook would be a better suit for you. Especially if you don't already have a laptop.
    If your expecting the iPad to out beat a decent laptop, then don't get upset when every last detail don't work out for you. Not that I don't think it can do most the things you want, a mactop would be unquestionably able for anything.

12. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Run, run away, run away fast

I have an iPad and love it. Stay as far away from the iPad as possible if you want it as a replacement for a MacBook or MacBook Air. The iPad is exactly NOT a laptop replacement.

13. jazziethomas macrumors member

I think what you need is a macbook either air or pro for you want to do some office stuff with it.

14. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given your stated needs, particularly, #2, #3, and #5 the iPad would be a poor choice. A laptop would be better for you.

16. Whistlermac macrumors newbie

Working in Numbers/Office or Docs to go on the iPad.

So you know.

Docs to go/ Numbers / Quick Office as of Feb 6/11 do not support the following spreadsheet functions when importing from MAC numbers or Excel.

NO SUPPORT in iPad for!!

- Headers and Footers - Merged cells ( they get unmerged ) - Some Formats - Hidden rows and columns ( which sucks! ), and some fonts.

Look I just saved you $30 bucks for the cost of the apps.

1. Yes to word Docs using Pages/Office mobile/Docs to go to for iPad.
    2. Yes AVI & MP4
    3. Internet you need Wifi network or 3G Ipad
    4. iDisk is a free app but you need a mobile me account to since via cloud. Other apps like docs to go and office can sync via free cloud servers ( dropbox )
    5. No to all the other stuff you wanted.... for now :)

17. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iPad is a consumption device, it ain't good at the ones you mentioned. Macbook will be a much better choice.

18. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Another option is to get a Mac Mini and an iPad. That's about the same cost as a laptop. Think of the iPad as an extension of your regular computer.

19. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Interesting post. I think the thread starter knew the answers already. iPad has been around 10 months. He even mentioned macbook air 2 that came out after the iPod touch 4.

Developers made the iPad more functional for work. Apple added the airprint, folders, fast-switching and semi-multasking.

20. yahya4k macrumors member

21. elan123 macrumors 6502

maybe a netbook

22. Gryzor macrumors 6502

You clearly know the answer, so why come on here asking if an iPad would be suitable because you know it obviously isn't. Right now, and in the near future, no tablet device is going to be a replacement for a desktop or laptop for general purpose computing. Fact. So, if you want an Apple computer, get a macbook of some description. If you want complimentary portable tablet that you can use to enhance your experience, get an iPad as well. If you can't afford to do that, get a windows laptop and use the huge amount of money saved to buy an iPad too.

All your talk of "not giving up yet" is ridiculous. iPad is what it is, and no matter what you want, it is not going to do all the things you are requesting of it. Don't go relying on people here to make your mind up for you, especially when you know the answer to your "problem".

23. ri0ku, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Is this a joke thread ? :S Because if it is its not funny :/

If it is a serious thread then you pretty much know the answers to your questions.... :S you really dont have a clue? yet you seemed to know the answers the the things you asked. Everything you mentioned seemed like a negative point too so quite clearly an iPad is not for you.

Get a new macbook or a mac mini or something.

There is no MS office, their is apples applications but who would seriously do proffesional work on an iPad in things like office type apps... maybe for a quick edit here and there I supose.

You can play Avi's etc simple using apps from the app store you sync the files via iTunes to the selected app (like VLC which no longer is in the app store but I still have it).

You cannot use your 3G dongle for the internet as you already answered that, there is no USB port and even if their was wheres the driver or app to sort it out?

Colour sync? no , Simply RAR? no theres no file system whats the point (although I think via jailbreak theres simular things) ,VLC (as I mentioned it no longer exists in the app store but there are simular apps), iMovie? no and if you do iMovie work on a macbook then why would you do it on an iPad? it just so wouldnt be the same (Might be quit fun to do some messing about or quick editing I supose, but for nothing serious)

If you are serious about doing work you really need a proffesional machine. I use my iPad for fun and entertainment and browsing, you cant really do much real work on it.... whenever I do work its normally in Autodesk Sketchbook pro and I also use the iPad as a digital portfolio (even then not to the best of standards since we arnt able to colour sync the machine so my images dont look as good as they do on the macbook pro I have).

24. syc23 macrumors member

A laptop would be the one to get.

iPad is a bit like a motorbike, it'll get you to your destination but it can't carry the kids or suitcases in the boot cause it doesn't have one :D

25. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed. OP's needs call for a full fledge laptop.

The ipad is an ancillary device for web/media consumption with some email/calendar and note taking functionality.

Trying to do what you're asking is a bit like syc23's analogy:

[​IMG]