Ipad Newbie... Questions on Purchasing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bartonjm, Apr 22, 2012.

1. bartonjm macrumors member

Hello folks,

I know my question might be redundant, so feel free to post a link and tell me to stop clogging up the forum. :) I'm a total Ipad newbie who's looking to purchase the new Ipad within a couple of weeks. I've read quite a few of the posts, and there seems to be a lot of information as to what to look for and issues with the new device. While I've read many posts, I'm a bit confused as to what some of the terms like "light bleed" and yellow screen issues really look like. :confused: Would someone be so kind to give me the "what to look for for dummies" list to buying a new Ipad? I'm set of the 64gb model, but I'm still trying to decide between the wifi vs. 4g version. I appreciate the help from folks.... especially from someone like me who doesn't have much experience with tablets at all. Thanks James :)

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

My advice to you is don't worry about it. Buy your iPad and enjoy it. If by any chance you open the box up and notice something strange, you have 14 days to do an exchange no questions asked, and Apple provides a one year warranty.

Use it normally and enjoy it. Don't lock yourself in a dark room and stare at a black screen with brightness set to 100%. It just not healthy. :D

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

+1

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Get your iPad, take it home and start using it. If it looks fine to you, it's fine. If you have some specific concern that you yourself see, then this is the place to ask. I got mine yesterday and I haven't put it through any extra examinations. I just started using it, knowing if there was a real problem for me, I'd see it on my own. Mine seems to be perfectly fine.:)

5. Dkorda macrumors 6502

I agree, my god you start looking for problems, you'll find them.

I would be more worried about making sure its covered for accidental droppage than bleeding.. Get some AppleCare+, Geek Squad, or Target Insurance for when things go real bad...

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

+2

7. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    All of the above and if you can afford it, the 4G comes in handy when you're on the road.

I never owned an Apple product before purchasing my iPad 2 (3G) last year. You don't need any experience with tablets. Apple makes it very easy.

Enjoy!

8. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

As has been said, just buy it and enjoy it. You'll definitely know if something is wrong when you open it up. But if you're anything like the majority of iPad users, it'll be flawless. :) enjoy your new toy and let us know what you think :apple:

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Go ahead and get one. I have one each of each generation (3G, wi-fi, 4G) and I've never had an issue with any of them. Some people are way too picky and want to see problems. Some people have legitimate issues but any product does.

Of the millions of iPads out there, if light leak and tinted screens were commonplace, there would be far more noise about it than the fraction of a percent that have voiced their complaints here.

10. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Just bought the New iPad yesterday. Like you, I was a bit worried about it having some sort of defect. Almost afraid to open the box. Some of the posts here make you think they are all defective.

I was delighted to find a perfect iPad ! The screen almost matches my color calibrated monitor I use for my graphics work. My eyes are sensitive to colors being off because of the work I do, and the screen on my iPad is really nice. No light bleed, dead pixels, scratches, everything just works the way it should.

Just have fun and enjoy your new iPad !

11. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

Yup!!

12. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I'm a newbie too. :). Preordered the new iPad (32Gb 4G). I love it! I think mine is perfect. I did check for dead pixels, but haven't gone out of my to find flaws. I DO know my screen has great color - no pink or yellow tint. :D

Don't worry about problems. Apple's got a great return policy.

13. Dan14 macrumors regular

Go for the 4G if you can afford it. It comes in very handy.

As for the issues - it's a tradeoff; obviously don't go looking for problems, but if there are obvious issues don't settle.

14. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks fellas. I'm leaning towards the 64gb with 4g. If I'm going to spend that type of money, I'd like to make sure I have a good product, so I figured I'd get input and feedback. So the main issues I would look for are light bleeding, dead pixels and yellowish tints? Thanks again.:)