Ipad non-Responsive. Reboot not working

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mjt57, Jun 29, 2016.

1. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

I have an iPad Air that has become progressively unresponsive. It would reboot itself, particularly overnight and I'd get the message about it being restarted when I opened it in the morning.

Then it became unresponsive. I followed Apple's suggestions to do a hard reset using the power and home buttons. I'd get a black screen followed by the Apple logo til it booted.

Now, all I get is the Apple logo. I've tried recovery mode but the screen for that no longer appears. And if connected to my Mac and iTunes is open iTunes tells me that it needs to be restored. It starts the process then it loses communications with the ipad.

I'm hoping that someone here has seen this and has a fix or cure for it.

Otherwise I have to travel two hours to visit the nearest Apple store in order to get it looked at. If indeed, it's worth getting repaired.

Thanks.

2. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

I reckon it had a virus on. Brother had same sort of thing with his iPod Touch, only I can't remember how his managed to get fixed in the end. Try calling Apple first before visiting, to see if they can suggest anything. Have you tried wiping it completely on iTunes?

3. mjt57 thread starter macrumors regular

mjt57

Did you miss the bit about losing comms with iTunes?

Anyway, I got in touch with an authorised Apple repairer who suggested a "DFU" reset, which I didn't know about. Tried that too, with no luck.

They tell me that I can exchange it for another ipad Air. There's a sliding scale of costs. For me it comes out to $380AUD, about half the cost of an Air 2 with wifi+cellular which is what mine is. In the meantime I'm going to take it there and see if they can work it out.