iPad iPad Nostalgia

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 960design, Aug 13, 2014.

1. 960design macrumors 68020

An iPad was just handed over to be reassigned to another user. I turned it on and low and behold iOS 4.3.3 ! Seriously! Even has the little iPod app along the bottom. I really don't want to wipe it and update it. Kinda want to just put it in a frame and hang it on my wall.

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

How long was it before the previous user's body was discovered?

3. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

4 years does not qualify for nostalgia , unless you are 8 years old because 4 years equals half your life-time.

I am willing to bet many people still own iPad1 and to be honest, the first iOS version sucked with the YouTube app, no multi-task (re-launch apps), and very very slow at loading websites

4. 960design thread starter macrumors 68020

I believe we have very different definitions of nostalgia. I harvested mine from Webster, he seems pretty smart:

Nosalgia:
    a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition

Note the irrecoverable condition part, I thought especially nice seeing that it would be quite difficult to return the iPad back to 4.3.3 after it has been updated.

I do agree with the rest of comments about older iOS versions being clunky, slow and ornery. Kinda like the early 20th century... kinda nostalgic.

I believe they are still looking.

PS. This was on an iPad2 ( A1395 ).

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I really wish there were some way to run older iOS versions in a virtual machine, or re-install old versions of iOS on devices that will run them. Regardless of whether you're for or against the Apple walled garden, it's a real problem for history's sake that old versions are discarded and no longer usable when Apple won't sign them anymore.

We've got NES emulators, DOSbox, and it's even possible to run Worsdstar and Visicalc on your web browser if you really want to. Are we gonna be able to do the same for old iOS versions? I really hope so.

6. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I suggest that the iPad 1 you got is not as out of date as you thought. Even now, the latest version of the OS available is iOS 5.1.1. I have an iPad 1, which I use as a backup and in my bedroom. Although my iPad 1 seems pretty primitive compared to my iPad Retina, it's still entirely serviceable, albeit a bit slow by modern standards.

7. 960design thread starter macrumors 68020

It is an iPad 2.

8. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Yeah, that is a different situation from the iPad 1 then. I have confirmed that the iPad 2, unlike the iPad 1, can run iOS 7. Thus, the one you got indeed appears to be as long out of date as you thought it was. I wouldn't have know the difference were it not for my continuing to use my obsolescent old iPad 1 on occasion. :)

9. 960design thread starter macrumors 68020

It runs iOS8 pretty well too!

10. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I am sure you are right but my policy has always been to almost always avoid beta releases so I am running iOS 7.1.2, the latest shipping version, on my iPad Retina. Of course, my iPad 1 is still stuck with whatever the version of iOS 5 is that it can run.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Ha I bought an iPhone 3G for the nostalgia (I never had one but always used my friends). It was on iOS 3 and I updated it to 4.1....its crazy how far we've come...personally iOS 5 was my favorite though...still not a fan of the new iOS look but definitely like the features.

12. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Pretty strict policy you have there. :p

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I think ios6 has been the best.