iPad not charging while plugged into a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JGruber, Jan 12, 2011.

1. JGruber macrumors 6502

So, I just got me a iPad, used from here. I've since synced up a bunch of apps, and all that fun stuff. However, while the iPad is connected directly to my Macbook Pro, it doesn't appear to be charging. Currently it shows 'Not charging'.

However, when I plug it directly into the wall, it charges just fine.

My MBP is a 2009 17", no other USB devices are currently plugged into it.

Not sure what to think about this.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It will charge, even though it says it isn't charging
    Just charges slowly

Only the newer MBPs are able to directly charge

Check out this article and Apple's support page

3. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I googled the problem, and read a few articles, but I wanted to confirm here.

4. warburg macrumors 6502

I am curiously having the opposite problem. When I plug the ipad into a wall outlet it charges up to approximately 90% and the the charge icon turns into a fully charged icon. If I leave it plugged in anyway, this gradually rises to 100% but he moment I disengage the transformer, the charge drops to about 90% again. On the other hand, if I charge the ipad using a USB port on my MacBook Pro, the charge rises steadily to 100% and remains there when I unplug the ipad.

I don't know whether the problem lies with the transformer or with the fact that I substituted the cable that came with the ipad with one of my iphone cables, because the original cable didn't fit well into the transformer. These cables all look alike to me.