iPad not charging...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Killerbob, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I know there are a lot of messages about iPads charging very slowly, but here goes;

I got my "New iPad" yesterday, and when plugged into the mains, it charges just fine, albeit slowly.

However, when plugged into a USB port, the display says (literally) "Not Charging". Is it because it doesn't need to, is the USB underpowered, or is there a fault somewhere?

Bo

2. wickoo macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

It will only charge in sleep mode from standard USB ports:)

New macs are equipped with high power ports which will charge the iPad even during normal use.

3. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

It may say "not charging" when it's connected to USB, but it is. It really means "not charging quickly". I leave mine on USB overnight, and it's usually fully charged by morning. Probably only charges 10%/hour. But it still charges.

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

5. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

No, it literally means not charging at all. The underpowered USB port is supplying 500mA, while with the display on it is consuming nearly 1000mA. The battery charge is not increasing.

Sure if you sleep the iPad it will charge very slowly, but when you look at the screen and it says "not charging" it is very much not charging.

6. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

It's always been this way, with the 1st and 2nd generations iPads too.

That's why the wall charger for the iPads are a different power than the ones for iPod Touches/iPhones. They chargers put out more power than the iPhone/iPod ones and the USB ports on computers.

Mike

7. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

If youre using a 3rd party charging cable, thats more than likely your problem. Same thing happened to me until I got the cable out of the box from the new ipad.

8. chazmink macrumors member

My experience was exactly the same as Graphics Geek. When I switched to the new cable it charged fine.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have never had any of my three iPads charge via USB while using it. It did not matter what cable but was using the OEM charger and cable. The iPad 1 and 2 might have charged very slowly but the increase power requirement of the 3, do not let it charge even slowly. :apple:

10. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses.

I tried with my 1st Gen iPad, and it was charging when turned on, even when using my keyboard dock. The charging icon was on all the time, also when at 100%. So, I tried changing the USB cable, and wupti, it works!

So, either there was something funky with the original Apple USB cable, or there is a new requirement with the new iPad?

Anyways, I have trashed the old cable, and use the new one. Never had that happen to me. It worked fine for syncing, but not for charging...

Bo

11. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Right, with the screen on. I think this is where people are getting confused. When someone sees "not charging" before they leave it on the USB connector for the night, they don't expect to see it charged when they come back. Of course, there is nothing on the screen when it's drawing no current, so there is no battery level indicator to see. But when the screen is off, it is charging.