iPad "Not Eligible For Update"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hockeyhammer, Jul 26, 2011.

1. hockeyhammer macrumors regular

I tried to update my iPad 2 to iOS 4.3.5 (from 4.3) today and just after it finished extracting software an error popped up and said that my iPad was not eligble for this build. The same thing happened when I tried to update to 4.3.4. What can I do, I really want the iCloud music and app downloads now and I want to make sure that this won't happen agian when I try to upgrade to iOS 5 in the fall. Anyone that can help?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Is it a CDMA iPad?

EDIT: I see you are in Canada so I guess not.

3. hockeyhammer thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, 32 gb WIFI only.

4. hockeyhammer thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, completely stock.

5. Bloodkip macrumors newbie

Try and put your ipad in DFU mode and restore from there. Make sure your host is pointed to apple and not cydia.

6. hockeyhammer thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I might hold off though as this isn't a major update and I don't feel like restoring my iPad completely. Thanks for your help though.

7. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Actually, I'm finding that weird problems like this are often caused by server problems on the company's end. Might just want to wait and try again later.

8. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I've been having the same problem. First with 4.3.4 and now with 4.3.5. I Haven't been successful yet. I have a jailbroken ipad 2 on 4.3.3 and a non jailbroken ipad 2 on 4.3.4. No luck with either and I have put my jailbroken ipad in DFU. Anybody no how to fix this?

9. doubleo6point9 macrumors newbie

Had this exact same problem and took into an apple store to have them look at it. We went through the usual questions about up to date iTunes, etc then they ask for permission to update my iPad using their computer. Once we had everything plugged in the apple genius noticed that I had my passcode on and asked me to remove it. After doing that (not unlock but turn it off) she was able to update it just fine. Have tried it on my MacBook pro yet as I'm now on 4.3.5 but she had no issues with it once I turned off the passcode feature.

FYI I've got a 16 gig wifi iPad 2 that came with 4.3.3 and was purchased last week.

10. blue43fan, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

blue43fan macrumors regular

I've had this happen to me and luckily I know how to fix it.

• Navigate to /private/etc (the easiest way to do this is to open Finder and select "Go" from the menu bar, select "Go to Folder" and enter /private/etc)
    • Locate the "hosts" file in etc
    • Copy the "hosts" file to your desktop, and make sure you have permission to edit the file by right clicking on it, select "Get Info" and at the bottom of the info window make sure your user account has access to both read and write this file
    • Open "hosts" in text editor
    • Look for "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" somewhere near the bottom
    • Add a "#" and a space before this line and save
    • Replace the old "hosts" file with your newly edited version

Voila! You should now be able to update your iPad. :cool:

11. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help.
    I located the file and went in to make the change, but it tells me I don't own the file and that I can only edit a duplicate. I did this but the update still won't work. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?
    Also, does the space go before the "#" or after it.
    Thanks again for your help.

12. blue43fan macrumors regular

Try right clicking on the file, select "Get Info" and near the bottom of the window it will say "Sharing and Permissions". Make sure that your user account has the privilege to read and write, instead of read only.

13. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I've got read/write permission and it still tells me that I can only duplicate. Not sure what the problem is it's getting pretty frustrating.
    Any ideas?

14. blue43fan macrumors regular

Hmmm, try copying the file to the desktop first, then edit the file and move it back to the etc folder, replacing the original file. Make sure you have read and write permissions, of course.

15. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Your awesome! That worked. I can now update my wifes iPad as well.
    Thanks again for all your help.

16. hockeyhammer thread starter macrumors regular

My permissions were normal, so its not that. I'm going to try the passcode thing in a little bit.

17. blue43fan, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

blue43fan macrumors regular

The permissions are not preventing you from updating, one line in the hosts file is. The permissions simply allow you to edit the file. I changed the instructions so they should work. Try it again, I'm pretty sure it will fix your issue.

No problem! I first encountered this annoying issue about a month ago, and unfortunately I've had to edit my hosts file at least three times because the gs.apple.com line keeps reappearing. You may have to do the same.

18. hockeyhammer thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I worded that wrong. I did do that guide and it didn't make a difference (and I checked it on terminal), thanks for your help though.

19. blue43fan macrumors regular

Darn. Well, that sucks. Hopefully it isn't something too hard to fix.