Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Because that would give adobe all the control over their product. That means that if adobe updates flash and gets lazy on the mobile version. the ipad would not run flash and people would be mad and upset at apple not adobe and people would say my ipad does not work i just wasted my money on this it would be big news. It would put apple in the short end of the stick and keep adobe in power. no way should 75% of the net run flash do yall guys see that is most of net that means that adobe is free to do what they want.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Because that would give adobe all the control over their product. That means that if adobe updates flash and gets lazy on the mobile version. the ipad would not run flash and people would be mad and upset at apple not adobe and people would say my ipad does not work i just wasted my money on this it would be big news. It would put apple in the short end of the stick and keep adobe in power. no way should 75% of the net run flash do yall guys see that is most of net that means that adobe is free to do what they want.

Both companies are free to do what they want. Apple has chosen not to allow flash. So customers are going to be pissed off without it just like your scenario as if they had it.

But I differ in opinion in that if flash were working on my device and then it wasn't - I would first assume it was flash, not the device

JimmyTheKnife

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Oregon, USA
What he said...

True rap. Apple got burned with buggy versions of Flash on OSX and El Steve has a long memory.

I think there will be a transitional period while the net adjusts to the growing number of mobile devices that don't support flash. But in the end, I think it will be better for it.

danlovaj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Agree that not having flash is good.

I don't care for the flash sites or streaming video. I'm more than happy to rent from iTunes what few movies I want to watch. Most of the time I rent from my local vid store Bluray movies, which are much higher quality than iTunes HD video (720p), and watch on my 55" Samsung LED-LCD TV. Why would I shortchange my TV and watch lesser quailty video???

If I wanted to watch TV show episodes, alot of them are viewable for free on their respective network websites, ABC, NBC, etc.

I can see not wanting Adobe having a say in Apple's affairs.

Who needs Flash on a device like iPad anyways? If I need access to a flash site, then I just hop on my 27" iMac and plug away! :)

For what iPad is and is suppose to be, it is far and away better then any netbook for CONSUMING entertainment media. For which iPad caters to anyways, not as a multitasking work machine. For that, we have desktops and MBP's. So suck on that!

danlovaj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
True rap. Apple got burned with buggy versions of Flash on OSX and El Steve has a long memory.

I think it is good to see a man exact sweet revenge on those who burned him. If I was in his position and power, I would do the same too. Revenge is best served cold after all!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If I wanted to watch TV show episodes, alot of them are viewable for free on their respective network websites, ABC, NBC, etc.

For what iPad is and is suppose to be, it is far and away better then any netbook for CONSUMING entertainment media. For which iPad caters to anyways, not as a multitasking work machine. For that, we have desktops and MBP's. So suck on that!

Well ABC and other networks, unless they decide to change for the small percentage of iPads vs desktop systems are going to tell you to suck it. Their video players are flash.

danlovaj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Well ABC and other networks, unless they decide to change for the small percentage of iPads vs desktop systems are going to tell you to suck it. Their video players are flash.

What I meant was I would watch it on my desktop anyways.

I'd rather watch in a 27" screen vs. 9.7" screen. If I am on the go and away from my desktop, I wouldn't be having time to watch TV shows and if I did I would have it downloaded to the iPad to begin with.

I am good with what iPad IS and there is no use in crying over what it IS NOT. No doubt future iterations will add more capabilities, memory, etc. My life doesn't revolve around Apple or my electronic devices. Rather my electronics revolve around me and how they augment my enjoyment of entertainment media (music, movies, photos, etc).

Besides, all the good shows on the networks are always canceled because they lack the "numbers". Networks just can't appreciate good scripts and shows if the ratings aren't there. Jericho Lives!

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Both companies are free to do what they want. Apple has chosen not to allow flash. So customers are going to be pissed off without it just like your scenario as if they had it.

But I differ in opinion in that if flash were working on my device and then it wasn't - I would first assume it was flash, not the device

yes you would because you know what flash is but the avg person does not know about flash. They will think it is apple and since the brought it from apple they will blame apple.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
yes you would because you know what flash is but the avg person does not know about flash. They will think it is apple and since the brought it from apple they will blame apple.

And you speak for the average person? That's an awfully big responsibility you have there (sarcasm)

ETA:

Real Scenario - your avg person buys the iPad as is. Gets home - and as you say - knows nothing about flash. Goes to his fave website (with flash) - can't see it. Blames Apple.

Your scenario - your avg person buys the iPad with flash support. Goes to site - it works. Later and IF (big if there) Flash changes and support drops from the iPad. Avg person Blames Apple

Either way - using your "data" - Apple is going to get blamed.

But consider this - if the device had Flash and it was working - it's a lot easier to say to the customer - Adobe hasn't updates their software so it doesn't work anymore vs Apple saying "yeah - no - flash doesn't work on the device because we don't want to support it"

The first scenario (having flash even or awhile) would eliminate immediate returns and/or disgruntled average people at the beginning of their experience
Your scenario - people would have at least bought the device, used it for more than a year (flash isn't going to cut support so quick) and then be disgruntled. But by then it's too late.

So from a STRICTLY sales point of view - it's smarter to have it, no?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008

But they wont blame apple when they see a blue lego instead of the video they clicked on? :rolleyes:

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005

Ipad not having flash= best thing about the ipad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005

The rest of the world called. —they just wanted to let you know they don't care about American television websites.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The rest of the world called. —they just wanted to let you know they don't care about American television websites.

The rest of the world called. They just wanted to let you know you have a reading comprehension problem since you clearly didn't see that I was responding to someone who specifically called out the American television websites.

Try actually reading the post AND the reference before trying to snark - it only makes you look silly by not.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
It's almost never an issue for me on iPhone. Won't be an issue on ipad.

1 more day to preorder!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.