iPad not really practical...now if the iPhone came out AFTER the iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rotobadger, Jan 27, 2010.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Gotta say, while the specs look impressive on the iPad, I'm hard pressed to find a reason why I would really want one. It's essentially a giant iPhone without the phone. I was pondering what the community's reaction would have been if the iPad had been released BEFORE the iPhone and THEN the iPhone was announced a year or two later. I think people would be going nuts. "An iPad that fits in your pocket! AND it's a phone!"

I love my iPhone for a number of reasons but one of the biggest is that I always have it with me. Always. I can't see carrying the iPad everywhere with me.

Although I'm sure there are a number of people who will have a legitimate use for the iPad (the types of folks who like a good ebook reader for example) I'm certainly not one of them.

I'm not dissapointed, just a little perplexed. I really expected a real game changer.

2. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Fixed :D a little easier to say.

3. dilbaggins macrumors member

I totally agree with you. As a college student, I'm fine with my MBP and iPhone 3G- they contain the features and apps that I need to get my business done. The iPad is a poor attempt by Apple to join the Tablet Market. Honestly, the iPad looks like a super-sized iTouch. Sometimes I dont get the point in having tools such as the Kindle or iPad... Why not just be normal and prop open a regular book? Who needs to view it on a digital screen?

4. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

It's damn practical for me. I have my iMac which does all of my heavy computing. But right now I'm in my living room with my MacBook which I also lug to school. All I use it for, really, is internet and school stuff in iWork. I can do both of those on an iPad. I agree Flash should be on there, but at this point it's not a dealbreaker for me.

People seem to forget that the iPad isn't supposed to be a fully-fledged computer. It's meant to compliment, not replace.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

People who browse a lot will soon realize, if they do it on an iPad, how many sites they visit won't display correctly due to lack of Flash. There is A LOT of content built on Flash technology.

6. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I also don't find it practical. Same reason I haven't bought an ipod touch.

Is it neat? YES.. but why buy it when I have a dreamy MBP, other than for surfing the web randomly or watching a movie on a plane? Impractical is a great word to describe. A neat toy, but nothing more.

Disappointed. Wanted something more business driven.

7. MTI macrumors 65816

I'm not sure I get that statement, particularly "business driven." If the apps are there, why wouldn't it be a great tool for business? With encryption, it could be a great way to distribute business information and support without having to lug a notebook.

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Most people have no imagination , creativity or vision.

Don't blame them.

9. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Whoa, no need to go insulting people. I'm PLENTY creative. I just didn't expect an oversized ipod or iphone. I expected something running OSX, with a stylus and a "write-on" screen, along with tons of other things its missing.

Such as USB out, GPS, video out, java and flash, limited storage space, multitasking, yada yada yada.

I was essentially hoping for OSX, but in tablet format. Not another iphone option.