iPad not switching on

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HelpiPadBroke, Mar 10, 2015.

1. HelpiPadBroke macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find out whats wrong with my iPad. When I try to turn it on it goes to a blue screen and then quickly goes off again. I've tried resetting it by holding the home button and the top one for over 10 seconds but the same thing happens. Sometimes it will display the screen but it will quickly go off then continue to show the blue screen when I try again after that.

I know its on as I can press the buttons to take screen shots and I can hear the sound effects.

Any advice would be great thanks.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

How old is it? Any chance the battery is totally dead? Plug it in and try it just for the heck of it.

Otherwise....not sounding good. :(

3. HelpiPadBroke thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an iPad 2 so pretty old now. I don't think its the battery as the same thing happens when its plugged in as well.

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Can you try restoring it from iTunes using a computer? That could work if it was a software related issue.

5. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

I'd be holding the reset combo for a good minute. Yes, it sounds excessive, but in some instances that's what it takes. I wouldn't expect it to help in this instance, but I don't trust ten seconds to be sufficient.

This model of iPad can be a bit funny with its LCD. After replacing the glass on them, I often find I have to give them a good firm smack on the back before the display will work correctly. Beats me as to why. The connectors are firmly seated, they just refuse to work until slapped!

In your case, there's a good chance the connectors are loose anyway. Gently twisting the device (via opposite corners) may produce the needed stress to pop them back into place.

Be wary of dropping the device on its edges. That sort of impact is rather more likely to actually damage the LCD, in which case that part would need to be replaced.

6. HelpiPadBroke thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly still the same problem. Anyone any idea on what part could be broke?

7. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

Either the LCD is broken, or the connector lead that attaches it to the iPad's logic board has simply come loose.

Regardless, if you can't get the above tricks to work, that leaves the option of opening the thing up and poking around inside, replacing the LCD if reseating the lead doesn't do the trick.

This isn't a very easy process, mainly due to the digitiser (the touch-sensitive glass glued onto the front of your iPad). The edges need to be heated (to melt the glue), then the (very thin!) glass needs to be prised away (preferably without cracking it).

You could take it to a service center, but odds are the cost would have you thinking about buying a replacement iPad instead.

8. flom macrumors newbie

Sounds like logic board issues. You could try to press firmly on the display to get it to reconnect.