iPad Ipad note taking (with pen)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MilleDav01, Apr 27, 2013.

1. MilleDav01 macrumors member

I would like a solution to take notes with an iPad. (Not yet purchased). I need to take math notes.

Do you think a ipad is a good solution or would something like a Galaxy Note 10.1 with the waycom pen be better.....

Thanks In Advance! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. azure247 macrumors 6502

I had the 10.1 note for awhile (and an ipad 3 for a year). The note pen is amazing technology because your hand can touch the screen without interfering with the writing.

Either way, I hated taking notes on a glass screen so I returned it. I dont think either is good for notes compared to pen/pencil + paper.

the android OS sucks too. Slow, laggy, not "smooth" like iPad.

My advice: neither for note taking and stay with traditional method.

These tablets are good for entertainment and reading pdf files and highlighting them. It's not for note taking especially in math,

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I use the app Notability on my iPad to take notes (using the Wacom Bamboo Stylus) and it's good for a few courses. I tried using it in a Calc II and Calc III class and I couldn't keep up with my professor. I kept having to zoom in and out and move the page around to get more blank space. All that time adds up and I ended up using pen/paper. The iPad really wasn't designed with stuff like this in mind, so you may want to consider an alternative if you really want to take digital notes.

4. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

I use the Notability app to take notes on an iPad 3 with a Targus stylus. The app has an adjustable palm rest area and ignores touch there, and it works pretty well. It also has an option to zoom into part of the page, where you can write largely and yet have the text appear smaller on the zoomed out page -- handy given the large tip of styluses. Overall, it's very handy for having access to notes everywhere due to integration with Dropbox and other services, BUT I don't think I would want to be taking notes that aren't based on a .pdf of lecture slides (or another handout) on any tablet. I agree with azure247 that it's not the easiest or fastest way to take notes vs. pencil and paper. So IMHO, I would avoid using it for notes if you're taking them "from scratch" vs. adding to and highlighting .pdf handouts. If you have .pdf handouts that won't require more than highlighting things and writing at most a sentence's worth of words or math symbols per slide or so, it's fantastic.

Maybe before buying the iPad/10.1 (if this is your main reason for buying it), buy a stylus first and try taking notes on a friend or family member's tablet and see if you even like taking notes electronically first. Some people I know get along just fine taking all their notes on a tablet, and it definitely is convenient if you can do it.

5. vainhumility macrumors member

I love taking notes on my iPad. I use Notability. I originally purchased NotesPlus but deleted it almost immediately. It has a ton of features, but all of those features make it hard to do simple tasks. Notability is perfect for my uses. I also use a Maglus stylus. It's shaped like a carpenters pencil and it's metal with a magnet in the center. It sticks to either side of the iPad when not in use so its super functional.

For some, pen and paper are irreplaceable. For people like me, that's simply not the case. I have a very hard time keeping track of my train of thought in addition to organizing my notes. Notability more than helps with that.

It was definitely kind of an awkward idea at first to take notes on the iPad but I simply took an hour or two to familiarize myself with the app/stylus and quickly adjusted. It's a great system, at least for me.

6. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

I have tried and I hated it. Not immediately but after a while. The iPad didn't keep up with my stylus when I was making notes in class (I'm a fast writer), and I just couldn't get used to that.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

I take all of my notes on the iPad. I use GoodNotes and a Pogo stylus, but I've found that cheaper ones like the Targus are fine. I wasn't terribly impressed with any of the solutions offered by Samsung, but good on them for trying!

A nice alternative is to just take notes as you normally would, and when you get home, run them through a ScanSnap scanner. It takes maybe a minute, and you have everything available on your iPad that way as well.

Also, you might consider a Moleskine notebook + Evernote integration. It works just like the scanner method, except you photograph the pages instead.