iPad Odd battery behaviour

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Banquo's Ghost, May 8, 2017.

1. Banquo's Ghost macrumors newbie

I think this is a software issue, so I hope this is in the right place.

I have an iPad Pro 12.9 which is just over a year old. Since installing iOS 10.3.1 there has been some very odd behaviour from the the battery monitor.

From a full charge, the iPad operates normally until the monitor reports around 90-93%. Next time I wake it up, it will report around 65% charge. If I continue normal use (i.e. waking it up too check a website, news etc a few times over the hour) it can be seen to drain rapidly towards 58-60% at which point it will suddenly report only 6% charge. A minute or so later, the iPad will switch off. Pressing the wake button reports a completely empty battery. Plugging it into the charger and switching back on will report a charge of 90-odd %, i.e. the level one would expect from the usage so far. It charges up to 100% in the expected time.

If I turn the iPad off manually at any time before it shuts of because of 'low' battery, it will report upper 90% as expected. After a few minutes use, it will drop to 60% as above. If I hard reset the iPad, the same thing occurs.

Any suggestions for how I might get the battery software to measure the battery consistently as before? Or what the problem might be?

2. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

I know it's a hassle but you might try restoring the iPad? My iPad Pro 12.9 lasts a week of moderate usage usually. Might be a hardware fault if a restore doesn't work? Good Luck.